Model Train Forum banner

281 - 294 of 294 Posts

·
Admin
43,504 Posts
There may be a limit to how much "grunt" you can add to a Consolidation, part of the equation is the weight on the wheels. It's a fairly small locomotive, so there is only so much traction available, regardless of what motor it has. Then there's the issue of of the motor.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm looking more for low speed grunt starting a train. I'm not looking to pull 50 cars just better low speed starting than the factory RS385 motor can provide. Even with the CCM it's just marginal. I've already got a 7 pole Pittman 8412 motor (same size as the RS385) and a guy who can modify and pull the worm from the RS385 and put it on the Pittman. Just got to send it to him. Then the little Consolidation will be doing burnouts :ROFLMAO:.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the compliment Tom! Another progress update for you all.

I've painted and decaled my GA-2 gondola. Decals are from K4 Supply Company, the first time I've used this brand. Seeing they had decals available for these gondolas already designed and for sale is what pushed this project from my "that'd be a fun project" list to action. The graphics were crisp, and their decal film was by far the easiest I've used in terms of seperating the decal from the backing - I had them in water for less than 10 seconds. Unfortunately, they also had a tendancy to fold up on each other. I was able to unfold the two or three curled decals without damaging the lettering. These require a little more care and far less water/solvent than other brands I've used.

Don't get used to it looking clean and shiny - if there were any still roaming around in the late 50's - early 60's in their 1929 delivery paint they would be beaten up, rusted, and grungy, and that is how this one will look. I'll do a second in the latter paint with 'New Haven" spelled out that may remain clean.

~C.Vigs

·
Registered
45 Posts
All done with one. Weathered with several layers of chalks, and a little fine loose sand in the corners of the gondola floor. I'm very happy with how this turned out.

I also began working on a second gondola, which will have the AHM trucks replaced with Weaver trucks. Replacing the trucks requires cutting the bolster off and fabricating a new one, so while I'm at it I'll move the trucks outwards a little bit to better replicate the prototype. The AHM trucks do not track well, even with weight added, plus the plastic molded coupler looks lousy and its attachment is fragile.

~C.Vigs

·
Registered
45 Posts
I like the new pilot - the exposed compressors are much more interesting than the covered ones.

I'm done with gondola number 2. This one will remain fairly clean - I weathered the floor just a tad to highlight the edges/details, so it doesn't look like you're staring into a void.

On this one, I removed the original trucks and bolsters. I made a new bolster out of bass wood, and applied weaver trucks. The trucks were moved farther towards the ends, so the bolster centerline is under the first rib in from each end. The corner steps were also cut off and replaced with bronze wire.

Gondola 2 Completed 1.jpg

Gondola 2 Completed 2.jpg

Gondola 2 Completed 3.jpg

Gondola 2 Completed 4.jpg

Comparison of the first and second:

Comparison 1.jpg

Comparison 2.jpg

~C.Vigs

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
I installed new running lights in my Lionel K4 Tuscan Legacy. The upper running lights no problem. The lower running lights are a PITA. After two days I still don't have them in. I decided to leave them out and try again another day.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #292
Nice NYCS engine. I still have my USRA 0-6-0 awaiting the K4 decals I bought a while back. They are great decals!

Tom

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Tom, cab number determines if I letter it NYC or one of the subs. Changing the numbers in the headlight, backup light and in some cases number plaques on the headlight can be a bit of a pain. This came as an L&N. The parent company 0-8-0s were numbered in the 7700-7900 range. Actually I have no idea what the Michigan Central numbered their 0-8-0s, just took a little modeling license.

Pete

281 - 294 of 294 Posts