Model Train Forum banner

301 - 317 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
SEM has been around for more years than I care to remember. Their products cater to the Auto Enthusiast for the most part. However some of the same products can be applied to model railroading. A link to their website is shown below.

All Products | SEM Products

·
Registered
114 Posts
ATSF Northern has been at a standstill for a bit but finally got the tender shell decaled and clear coated today. Have to do the same to the cab and boiler and then wire it. After that it'll be done.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I picked up a second Lionel Niagara. This one was barely run and still had the original plastic gears and driveshaft. While swapping out the parts I noticed something I hadn't on the first one. The drivers are held on with a plate rather than through the frame like most three rail engines. This made converting from two chuffs to four much easier. Simpler to pull a driver when its not next to the frame. I can make these cams in about twenty minutes and only costs me time.

The Niagara cams are in the center, left are cams used in the Lionel TMCC Mogul and on the right are NYC TMCC J3a Hudson cams. The latter appears round due to the puffer unit lever guide on either side of the cam.

This will get renumbered to 6023 and I am still waiting on decals.

Pete

·
Admin
43,798 Posts
Pete, how do you get the quartering correct, do you use a jig or eyeball?

The TMCC Mogul is easy, just buy the conventional Mogul wheel set with the cam. For reasons that I can't imagine, the conventional wheelset has a 4-lobe cam and the TMCC version has a 2-lobe cam.

Conventional Mogul

TMCC Mogul

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I didn't know about the conventional version having 4 lobes until you pointed that out a while back. I had already made a few extra cams but have since picked up one of the wheelsets above. Unlikely I will use either now with 4 moguls in hand.
I use a small rule with a centering head to scribe a line across the axle and wheel usually in line with the rod mount as a frame of referance. The axles are knurled so if you eyeball it close the wheel will line up with the closest knurl.
Not an issue with the Hudson as the screw on wheels have a D shaped cup that fits into the axle.

Pete

·
Registered
114 Posts
Got the cab decaled and clear coated today. Last thing to decal/clear coat is the sand dome on the boiler (road number 2903).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Lou, you do great paint work. Do you use an airbrush or a detail spray gun?

Pete
Thanks. I use a combination of air brush and spray cans most times. This particular project has been all SEM spray cans (black and clear). The nozzles on the cans are automotive grade and are almost as good as an airbrush. Paint flows really smooth out of them. I'm going to go with this SEM combo on any future black steam locomotive builds. Results are just as good as airbrushing and I don't have to drag a bunch of stuff out/mix paint and still get great results.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Got the tender wired and completed on my ATSF Northern project. Now to start on the cab and boiler reassembly and wiring that.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Finished wiring the locomotive and ta da, complete ATSF 2900 class Northern:

Modified the sound file so it has the same whistle as my PS3 Blue Goose and 3460 class Hudsons. Now all my ATSF steam passenger locomotives have the same whistle.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Got another project. A friend (where I get my projects from) found an earlier PS2 5V 5011 class that had been around the MTH shop a bit. Banged up from kicking around the MTH parts departments as a donor or warranty return it looked worse for wear, missing all electronics, motor, flywheel, and worm shaft. Friend was able to add a worm, flywheel, and a nice big 9234 roller bearing Pittman motor. Also threw in a ATSF Blue Goose tender chassis, and I sourced a Lionel ATSF 20K gallon tender shell. Ended up with this pile of parts.

Now if you're an ATSF guy you might know where this is going. I already have a 5011 class Texas. I don't like to own duplicate models of the same locomotive (ok except the 3 Premier ATSF 3460 class Hudsons I own) so this Texas needed to be different. I got inspiration from this article: https://oscalekings.org/WP/gar...f-2-10-4-class-5001/
No one has made a ATSF 5001 class Texas in 3 rail O, so I'm going to make my own. I've already sourced the major components and an outside bearing pilot truck. The model is sitting like this now.

I'm going for accuracy, but some things won't be perfect, such is 3 rail. The 5011 class Boxpok drivers will remain as there are no equivalent size 3 rail Baldwin disc drivers like the 5001 class used. There will be other changes to match the prototype. The number boards will be relocated to the sand dome like on a 5001 class. The stack is going to be changed to the proper flip stack. No one makes the correct ATSF hand operated flip stack, so my friend Pat is going to machine the proper stack out of brass, once I get him the correct measurements. I have to knock the incorrect stack out of the boiler first and take measurements. Locomotive will be numbered 5009 and it'll have PS3, so I can double head it with my 5011 class Texas if I want. It will be one of one when it's done. Only 3 rail 5001 class Texas.

301 - 317 of 317 Posts