Model Train Forum banner

401 - 420 of 433 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Started to build a group of 7, 4-wheel ingot buggies for my layout. I used old Lionel 4 wheel bobber cabooses, cut off the end platforms. Then I shortened them to about 8-10 scale feet by removing the center section and splicing them back together. A piece of 0.040X.125 inch strip styrene was added to each side in the indents to stiffen the body.
20201229_163133.jpg

I then traded out the stock Lionel wheels with wheels from an S gauge car. This put the car at the right height for KADEE 804's or 805 couplers even with the lobster claws on a locomotive.
20210512_181530.jpg

20210512_181526.jpg

Next I need to attach some 1/2 ounce wheel weight from Harbor Freight to the deck on top. Then fill in the spaces between the weights to make a flat surface for the ingot mold, and extend the sides down to cover most of the wheel bearings. I want to bring up the weight to about 3-4 ounces.
This is a work in progress and there are no specific prototypes for my cars, this is totally a freelance project.
I'll post more pictures as I progress in this build.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That’s really cool, great project/idea!
Thank you. I'm trying to model a 1950's Era small steel mill. Right now I have an ore boat that I scratch built, with its accompanied dock and ore pile and a Slag dump. I also am finishing up an electric arc furnace building and annex and will start to build a hot rolling mill and ingot stripper building.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I had to check out my book of the South Buffalo RR which served the Lackawanna, NY Bethlehem Steel plant. Lo and behold a picture of ingot cars. Looks like you nailed them. In this case the tracks that ran inside some of the buildings were narrow gauge. The picture was taken inside the building where the molds were being removed from the ingots. I would post the picture but believe there are copyright issues. Neat project.

Pete

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thank you for the compliment. I thought of building them using S gauge as a narrow gauge track., but then I'd have to figure out how to to get more trackage into my layout. Besides, I already have a Lionel Plymouth diesel with KADEE type couplers and also 2 Lionel 0-6-0T tank locomotives, more than enough to pull these ingot buggies.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thank you for the compliment. I thought of building them using S gauge as a narrow gauge track., but then I'd have to figure out how to to get more trackage into my layout. Besides, I already have a Lionel Plymouth diesel with KADEE type couplers and also 2 Lionel 0-6-0T tank locomotives, more than enough to pull these ingot buggies.
Here's are a couple of pictures of my progress on the ingot cars. I still need to put some cosiderable weight in them as theyonly weigh about one ounce. I'm putting 2 ounces on top and 1-1.5 ounces on the underframe.
20210526_115814.jpg
20210526_115826.jpg

Hope you like them.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #408 ·
Cool looking ingot buggies. The real molds were made of some concrete mixture I believe.
My brother’s father in law, worked at Shenango Ingot Molds in Lackawanna, adjacent to the Bethlehem Steel plant. They made the molds for BS. I may have pics of the buggies they used.

Doing a steel mill in O scale is quite an undertaking. It would be difficult to do one in N scale, let alone O scale!

Tom

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #409 ·
I finished two more cars today.

The Ann Arbor car is a MTH commemorative car I stripped, repainted and lettered with a K4 decal set. I replaced the original roller bearing trucks with friction bearing trucks…

The yellow OB car is a Weaver product which started life as a 2 rail undecorated car. I painted it and installed Weaver 3rail diecast sprung trucks underneath. I lettered it for the Wichita North Western Railroad, using a K4 decal set…

Tom

·
Registered
36 Posts
Cool looking ingot buggies. The real molds were made of some concrete mixture I believe.
My brother’s father in law, worked at Shenango Ingot Molds in Lackawanna, adjacent to the Bethlehem Steel plant. They made the molds for BS. I may have pics of the buggies they used.

Doing a steel mill in O scale is quite an undertaking. It would be difficult to do one in N scale, let alone O scale!

Tom
A few more pics. I added 2 & 1/2 ounces of weight to the underside, brings them up to 3 &1/2 -4 ounces. When using the Harbor Freight truck weights, smack them with a hammer to flatten them . Installed KADEE 805'S or 806's, whichever I had on hand. I made a deck of 0.030 styrene whith nubs over the couplers. On the prototype those nubs are there to protect the couplers from being welded together in case of a spill. A couple of details are next, a fillet around the deck to soften the edges, and bearing caps on the sides.
20210527_174251.jpg

20210527_173855.jpg

20210527_173941.jpg

When they're all finished, then a trip to the paint shop.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #411 ·
Started a new paint job today.

It is a Weaver gondola I stripped and painted. It is currently being decaled for the Wellsville, Addison and Galeton Railroad.

Just waiting for the decals to set between applications of Solvaset..

Tom

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #413 ·
Thanks Magic!

Sometimes it is tedious and there is always some minor flaw that jumps out at me. In the long run, it is rewarding…

Tom

·
Registered
236 Posts
Tom,

Any of the cars with ribs or outside bracing are more interesting but sure require patience to slice & dice all the decals and apply them evenly-nice work!

Reactions: Krieglok

·
Registered
236 Posts
Bill,

Nice project with the ingot buggies. Back in the 70's/early 80's when I worked at US Steel's Homestead Works, our plant used buggies and ingot molds that were a bit different than yours. While the plant is long razed and gone(except for a couple historic buildings), there are some artifacts scattered throughout the local area. One of the ingot buggies is on display in the town of Homestead at the end of the Homestead High Level Bridge(now the Homestead Grays Bridge). It is a 30 inch narrow gauge with the 4 axles riding on internal bronze bushings. We had our own internal plant railroad, both standard gauge and 30 inch narrow gauge. We called the narrow gauge engines "dinky's" and were just about all remotely controlled by the operator. Those engines did most of the ingot buggy movements. Here's a couple shots of the buggy on display

Attachments

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #416 ·
Tom,

Any of the cars with ribs or outside bracing are more interesting but sure require patience to slice & dice all the decals and apply them evenly-nice work!
Yes! The K4 decals come “pre-separated” with the wording broken up to fit around the braces. K4 likely based their sectioning on a Atlas OB car. The decals don’t work on Weaver OB cars, as the brace pattern is different. They require further splitting to get them to fit well between the brace.

Here is an Atlas car on top, compared to a Weaver car below. The ribs are different in number and size…

Tom

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #417 ·
Finished the WAG gondola. Ready to haul hides and carcasses for the tanning businesses…

Tom

·
Registered
167 Posts
Nice job. Decal film seems to be hidden quite well. Are you trimming close to the lettering or do the decals you're using have the film close to the lettering (a la Microscale)?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #419 ·
Thank you Lou. That means a lot coming from you!

The WAG gondola took quite a bit of trimming (See the debris pile in the photo below). The Tichy decals are one solid sheet, so there is much cutting. Trimming close is definitely a technique that makes for better looking paint jobs.

The K4 decals are the same, requiring trimming. It makes such a difference in the long run…

Tom

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Finished the WAG gondola. Ready to haul hides and carcasses for the tanning businesses…

Tom

View attachment 560273

View attachment 560274
Great job again Tom. I have been to all the places on the WAG route and can’t recall any evidence that line ever existed. Hard to believe it could cross those mountains in Northern PA. Been by the old tanning plant in Westfield. For a time it was being used for something else but it was abandoned last time through. Didn’t realize there was another plant in Elkland either.

Pete

401 - 420 of 433 Posts