Model Train Forum banner
541 - 560 of 615 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #542 ·
Bryan, that’s true. I suppose I would do some and sell them. See what people think…

John, What road names are you thinking?

Tom

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #543 ·
Here is my completed Lackawanna RS3. I just need to change the sound file on it.

Stripped with isopropyl and some light sanding. Primed with Tamiya grey primer and painted with Scalecoat II Satin Black spray cans. A bit of masking and the handrails were painted with C&NW yellow…another Scalecoat product.

Decals are from Microscale. They were a bit difficult to handle. They may be older stock as they had some splintering when wet. I went through the specific lettering on two sets before I got it right.

Detail painting included the Airhorns and exhaust stack being painted silver. The Lackawanna painted them this way. I added air hoses and MU jumper receptacles to the end handrails. I fabricated the drop steps from sheet brass diamond plate stock.

I will probably do the pilot modification discussed in another thread. Just waiting for the brass stock to arrive.

Tom

·
Registered
949 Posts
…Decals are from Microscale. They were a bit difficult to handle. They may be older stock as they had some splintering when wet…
Before using decals (especially old decals), I apply liquid decal film. It prevents disintegrating/splinters/tears.

I apply to new or old decals anymore. Great stuff.

Nice job on the locomotive!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #545 ·
Before using decals (especially old decals), I apply liquid decal film. It prevents disintegrating/splinters/tears.

I apply to new or old decals anymore. Great stuff.

Nice job on the locomotive!
Yeah, I bought them last week from Microscale on line. I will get some of that fluid for next time!

Tom

·
Admin
45,981 Posts
Locomotive looks great Tom.
John, What road names are you thinking?
I'm a PRR and Reading man, and I have a ton of Reading boxcars, so I'd probably do some PRR ones. Of course, I have a ton of other road names, so I might do something else. I have a few C&O and N&W locomotives, so those are also candidates.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #547 ·
I can do a couple for you and see if you like them. Any idea of decals you would like to use?

Here are some. Of course it depends on the era you want. I am guessing they are 40’ steel cars…

Tom

·
Admin
45,981 Posts
I'll round up the box and see what style they are. They're the TCA club cars, and I'd rather have something that looks like it would have actually been on the rails. I believe they're standard 40' boxcars. This is a sample, and I think they're all identical cars, just different paint jobs.
Wheel Train Rolling stock Azure freight car

This paint scheme looks good, with unique numbers of course! :D

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #549 ·
Some of the premier cars have separate ladder details but cast in grab irons. The others have separate applied grabirons. They come both ways. I have stripped many of those MTH specialty cars. They clean up well.

Let me do a car in the above scheme. When it is done, I can ship it to you. If you like it, keep it and just send me a replacement from your stash. I have no idea how much labor would be, maybe just the cost of paint and a decal set...like $10…

Tom

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
I find flaws in some of my new purchases it just goes with The territory.
That's a shame that you guys have to put up with sub-standard equipment in O scale. For what they charge for most models they should be near museum quality.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #553 ·
That's a shame that you guys have to put up with sub-standard equipment in O scale. For what they charge for most models they should be near museum quality.
Yes quality is an issue, but we can adapt and overcome. Its part of the fun.

Tom

·
Admin
45,981 Posts
Supply and demand, it's what makes the world go 'round. :D

·
Registered
414 Posts
Project Friday, just mid process of slapping in a superchuffer into this brand new (NOS) K-line 2-6-6T tank engine. Now enjoying idle smoke and also since the fan is no longer directly driven by the chuff line from the cruise board, hoping it will last. Thanks @gunrunnerjohn for making such a great product.
Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic instrument Audio equipment

Also, drilled out the smoke funnel slightly and the air intake port while I had it open.
Technology Machine Engineering Office equipment Metal

·
Admin
45,981 Posts
Project Friday, just mid process of slapping in a superchuffer into this brand new (NOS) K-line 2-6-6T tank engine. Now enjoying idle smoke and also since the fan is no longer directly driven by the chuff line from the cruise board, hoping it will last. Thanks @gunrunnerjohn for making such a great product.
Also, drilled out the smoke funnel slightly and the air intake port while I had it open.
Well, I don't get any Super-Chuffer back once they're installed, occasionally someone cooks one wiring it wrong. :D
I'm glad to see it fits in there, I'm going to do the same thing to my K-Line tank engine! :D

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #558 ·
Great Project. I have a K-Line 4-6-6T also. I was considering having it upgraded. Since then, I purchased the new Lionel version. The conversion may still happen, especially after seeing these previous thread entries…

Tom

·
Admin
45,981 Posts
When I tear mine apart, I'll probably proactively replace the K-Line cruise board with the ERR CC-M board. The K-Line boards are notorious for going up in smoke, so I figure while I'm in there, I might as well nip that in the bud. I will have to add the Chuff-Generator, the K-Line Cruise in the tank engine also generates the chuff signal for this model.

541 - 560 of 615 Posts