Model Train Forum banner
641 - 660 of 702 Posts

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
The beauty of using something like Word is you have the choice of hundreds of fonts, and you can search around and probably find a pretty close TrueType font match for most number boards.
You don't have to "search" for the font. Highlight the numbers and select the font dropdown menu. The font will change immediately with each tap of the down arrow key. About a minute to traverse all the fonts.

·
Admin
46,188 Posts
That's what I mean by "searching", but if you don't find one you like, there are literally thousands of TrueType fonts around.

Here's one of MANY sites with free TrueType fonts by the hundreds:
FonTsner, note the 78365 fonts available.
Font Rectangle Parallel Number Slope

Searching doesn't have to be confined to the limited selection you have on your computer. ;)

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
UP Font is unique. I was not able to find matching numbers in any word processor or other RR decals. Likewise NYC Sans Serif font is also unique. Heck Lionel can’t even get it right on their latest releases.
Railroad Roman, on the other hand, is ubiquitous so not much problem there.
Pete

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #645 ·
That locomotive looks great! The flanges are so tiny!

I have silver HO UP letter sets from Microscale. I cant remember why I bought them!

Tom

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #646 ·
I bought a MTH DAP Premier PRR L1 2-8-2 a couple years ago. The day it arrived, I placed it on my test track. It looked good, so I powered it up. Right away, I heard a odd snap and the valve gear linkage on the Engineers side dropped out of place. I figured something was wrong with the cylinder, like not drilled out. I posted here about it and received some great ideas for repairs. But, I ended up just putting the engine away.

Fast forward to now. Last night, I pulled the engine out of storage and brought it up to the locomotive shop (my kitchen table) and took it apart. The “motion hanger” was snapped in a 2/3-1/3 break. I put the broken side back up on the frame and engaged all the piston rods and slowly turned the motor by hand. There was no binding, no jamming, nothing that would have damaged the locomotive in regards to motion.

Textile Sleeve Black-and-white Grey Style

I removed the 2/3s of the casting, still held by the two screws. The break was in a very weak spot. I filed the adjacent edges and surfaces and used JB Weld, reinforced with a piece of sheet brass, to reassemble the part. I clamped it and let it sit for a few hours. After it set up, I removed the clamp and shaved off some of the excess epoxy. The one screw hole was a bit obscured by epoxy, but as I installed the part, it seemed very solid with just one screw. I assembled the valve gear and let the engine sit for another few hours.

Train Wheel Automotive tire Locomotive Rolling

This evening, I set up my test track and powered up the engine. It came to life, light and smoke with the dynamo sound purring away. I slowly moved the engine back and fort, watching for any binding. Everything looked smooth. Good to go.

Train Vehicle Communication Device Bumper Telephony

The engine is basically brand new. Only a few minutes on the chronometer and less than 1 mile on the odometer.

At this point, I am thinking the engine was broken in shipping and the damage didn’t occur when I tested it the first time.

Hopefully, as MTH gets their parts site further along, I will be able to purchase a replacement motion hanger. They have them for many other locomotives, so chances are they have one, just not listed yet.

For now, the engine is good but my OCD will be eased with a new, complete hanger!

Tom

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Nice when a repair that simple can get a nice loco like that back in business. I couldn’t tell from the middle photo what the problem part was. If it doesn’t see much stress, it might last indefinitely.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #648 ·
It is the part with the cross head screw through it. It is a cast piece. The only stress it would get is if the loco rolled over on its side…

Tom

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Tom, that is a common problem and that is the fix. MTH dropped the ball on that one. Another failure point is on MTH Niagaras. The water feed pump under the firemans cab side breaks off. Its cast brass held on by the vertical pipe. Grab it wrong and snap. If you ever go shopping for them check to see if the pump is still there. PSC has a replacement though.

Pete

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #651 ·
Thanks, Pete. I am thinking that if there is a weak spot on a certain locomotive, that part is probably scarce, as they are in need of replacement.

The Niagara is on my future buy list, so I will keep your advice in mind when I look for one…

Tom

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #653 ·
I missed that thread over there. The skill and workmanship is really impressive to me.

It is interesting that NWSL has made a comeback of sorts. So many of these smaller industries that produce products that skilled people need for their work, are slowly fading away.

I can’t wait to see the end result when the whole package is tied together with detail and paint!

Great work Pete.

Tom

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #655 ·
That will be a great looking engine. The decal work is perfect!

Tom

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #656 ·
I am starting my dummy MTH RS3 project. I have the shell stripped and ready to prime after a couple details are added.

This is the engine with the modified steps and pilots to bring them out to the correct position on the frame.

This engine will be painted for Lackawanna, to pair with my powered RS3 with the same road name…

Tom

Train Rolling stock Toy Motor vehicle Rolling

·
Registered
965 Posts
That will be a great looking engine. The decal work is perfect!

Tom
Thanks Tom, appreciate the nice comment. I’m almost finished. I actually have completed the final assembly and the locomotive is back together but I want to do a few more final details prior to posting pictures.

Looking forward to your progress on the RS3.

Really enjoy this thread and great to see other folks building stuff!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Locomotive is finished!

Quick review. Airbrushed with Scale Coat paint, decals from various sources (numbers are individual cut and aligned), cab windows/number boards came from a clear plastic container, and weathered with acrylics.
My goal was a “used” locomotive, not an end of life cycle look.

Before:
Train Vehicle Wheel Gas Auto part

After:

Train Vehicle Rolling Rolling stock Gas

Wheel Train Land vehicle Vehicle Rolling stock

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling Steam engine

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Steam engine

641 - 660 of 702 Posts