Model Train Forum banner
681 - 700 of 702 Posts

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #681 ·
What is that conductive grease or coating that people were using on side rods and such on steam engines? Neo Lube?

Tom

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #683 ·
Huh. I have a bottle of it I never opened. Everyone used to rave about it…

Tom

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #684 ·
Did a modification on an Atlas scale Buffalo Creek flour car today. I removed the truck bolsters and reinforced the floor. I installed MTH friction bearing trucks. Basically it lowers the car down to a decent level for adding three rail trucks…

Train Wheel Rolling stock freight car Track

Train freight car Rolling stock Track Mode of transport

I am also doing small detail additions to my MTH Erie E8. I swapped the pilot and installed a firecracker antenna. A few more bits coming…

Train Land vehicle Vehicle Window Wheel

Train Vehicle Rolling stock Toy Window

Tom

·
Registered
236 Posts
ATSF Northern is moving along. Locomotive is mostly done (I realized I forgot to blacken the axle ends on the pilot truck, I'll have to do that). Looks about 100% better than it came from the factory. Hard to tell it started as a PS1 version. I'll tackle the tender next, but that's basically just installing PS3 electronics. Easy stuff.

Train Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Rolling stock

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Rolling

Train Motor vehicle Rolling Vehicle Railway

·
Registered
236 Posts
Did a modification on an Atlas scale Buffalo Creek flour car today. I removed the truck bolsters and reinforced the floor. I installed MTH friction bearing trucks. Basically it lowers the car down to a decent level for adding three rail trucks…

View attachment 568478
View attachment 568479

I am also doing small detail additions to my MTH Erie E8. I swapped the pilot and installed a firecracker antenna. A few more bits coming…

View attachment 568480

View attachment 568481

Tom
E8 looks great. The pilot swap really makes a difference.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #690 ·
Lou, that Northern looks like a museum piece! Simply beautiful. Great work.

And thank you guys. I would like to add the more detailed pilot to a few of my E8 locomotives, but MTH seems to be out of them at this time! I may try doing some detail work on the couple spare pilots I have, by adding air hoses and possibly cut levers…

Tom

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Lou, that Northern looks like a museum piece! Simply beautiful. Great work.

And thank you guys. I would like to add the more detailed pilot to a few of my E8 locomotives, but MTH seems to be out of them at this time! I may try doing some detail work on the couple spare pilots I have, by adding air hoses and possibly cut levers…

Tom
Tom, Pretty sure the P&D pilots for the F3 will fit these E8s. They are perfect for the K-Line E8s. Coupler doors are optional. Air and MU lines can be added too.
Train Wheel Rolling stock Nature Vehicle

Pete

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #695 ·
Tom, Pretty sure the P&D pilots for the F3 will fit these E8s. They are perfect for the K-Line E8s. Coupler doors are optional. Air and MU lines can be added too.
View attachment 568515

Pete
Those are fixed pilots, right Pete? The look better than the regular MTH ones, with the added rivets along the top…

Tom

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Those are fixed pilots, right Pete? The look better than the regular MTH ones, with the added rivets along the top…

Tom
Tom, you get just the pilot. You can mount them to the truck, to the body or to the frame. On the NYC engine they are mounted to the plastic body. I did another K-Line E8 and mounted it to the frame. Both are fixed but mounting to the frame I used screws vs glueing to the shell.
This is the same P&D pilot without the coupler doors.

Train Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Rolling stock

Pete

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #697 ·
The frame mounted pilot looks great. I will check them out. P&D.

Tom

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #699 ·
Marklin produced an HO version - #37201
Really? I missed that. I have quite a bit of German two rail HO stuff, but I never jumped into the Marklin trains.

It must be quite the model!

Tom

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well the ATSF Northern is done.
Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Track

Train Vehicle Rolling stock Track Locomotive

I used a larger speaker than I normally do with this locomotive (giant tender allows for a larger speaker). It's very bassy. The issue is it has enough oomph to cause the front tender truck, mounted below the speaker, to rattle when the whistle is blown. I didn't have the same issue using the same speaker in my PS3 version. The trucks are held on with E-clips on this locomotive, where as the PS3 version has the trucks screwed on. Being that the tender trucks have more wiggle with the E-clip mount they rattle. I'll have to tighten them up a bit to eliminate the rattle.

681 - 700 of 702 Posts