Model Train Forum banner
721 - 740 of 1150 Posts

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
John, I assume the speed is much less than a Dremel, no? Otherwise it would just burn up drill bits.
My Makita drill actually did well, and I could change bits in seconds. All holes started with an undersize 66 drill to get as close as posible to location, then enlarged.
This is a one time project just to see what is possible, I have no interest in doing another one. Problem is I keep thinking of more stuff to do on it.

Pete

·
Admin
47,849 Posts
Pete, it has five speeds, the first step or two is slower than a Dremel, but it's the speed I normally use for most things. It's still probably 1500-2000 RPM on the first step, but it's perfect to save me from having to twirl that pin vise for minutes at a time and develop hand cramps! I haven't cooked any bit yet, and I've drilled quite a few holes with it. For plastic or brass it cuts them like butter, a little slower on diecast and even slower on steel. For diecast or steel, I use some oil to cool the bit, I don't bother on brass as it cuts so fast I'm not there long anyway.

·
Railroad Tycoon
25,832 Posts
Roll onnnnnn, Big Mama, I like the way you move............
Nice. (y):)

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Finishing up my Williams 773 project. Just about ready for paint. Added lagging clamps and a coupler lift bar. The front is another Vision Hudson part. The 773 and Vision Hudson share the same DNA having evolved from the pre war scale Hudson. I likely won’t use that front though as I would have to replace the incorrect headlight and renumber it. I want to keep the Williams 5207 cab number. I would only gain working class lights. Maybe in the future as I can always swap it in.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Line

Train Motor vehicle Rolling stock Steam engine Vehicle

Pete

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Thank you. Yeah, that motor swap started this whole thing. I keep referring to the pre war 700E and how close it is to the modern copies. There is a nice one on ebay now bringing big bucks. Had I seen that when I started this engine I might have tried to copy that. Too late now as this one has already had number of the original less detailed items replaced and metal carved away like the whistle, bell, and dynamo.

Pete

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #733 ·
The engine looks great! Photography, especially with flash, can give a harsh tone to pictures. Your pics look fine though.

Tom

721 - 740 of 1150 Posts