Model Train Forum banner
761 - 780 of 1150 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
Lou,

The E6s look so much better with gray trucks! I’ve always liked Gray over silver.

Aaron
UP diesels had gray trucks up till 1955. That's when the switched to silver. These COLA E6s lost the COLA paint by the time the silver trucks came around, so I had to correct the B unit.

I cobbled these together from a group of parts. The A unit chassis had the proper gray fuel tank and trucks but the B unit had a gray fuel tank and silver trucks. Easy enough to change with a little paint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,117 Posts
In the paint shop now:

Circuit component Passive circuit component Electronic component Engineering Computer hardware


Progress set back-knocked a pump off while handling it. Short version-machined a new/better bracket and soldered in place.

Trigger Office equipment Office supplies Gun accessory Bumper


I needed to save the cab data, the decals I’m using don‘t have 63” info. So, I carefully masked the data info, then removed the cab number. During the locomotive repaint I’ll mask it, and feather in new paint aiming airbrush away from mask (prevents “hard edge”). After cab number decals set, if necessary a quick blend with airbrush and a perfect match. It’s a great technique for saving markings.

Window Rectangle Camera accessory Wood Font


Unlike the last model, this will be lightly weathered with simple paint fade and some dirt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,117 Posts
I hear you Lou.

last time I didn’t mask, I was able to gently feather with airbrush. Probably should’ve done that this time, the verdict is still to be decided. I will say the SC paint I choose is not a close match, so we’ll see what I can do. weathering will help blend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
I hear you Lou.

last time I didn’t mask, I was able to gently feather with airbrush. Probably should’ve done that this time, the verdict is still to be decided. I will say the SC paint I choose is not a close match, so we’ll see what I can do. weathering will help blend.
Did you have to sand the old numbers off? Usually being gentle with lacquer thinner will take printed on/painted on numbers off without damaging the paint below on metal models. That's how I remove numbers/lettering on metal shells.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,117 Posts
Did you have to sand the old numbers off? Usually being gentle with lacquer thinner will take printed on/painted on numbers off without damaging the paint below on metal models. That's how I remove numbers/lettering on metal shells.
Yes, I tried all the normal tricks and no love, haha!

Finished paint today, it’s in my paint oven now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,290 Posts
Well, not exciting or anything and not worthy of a picture, but repaired my 2031090 B&O Legacy EM-1 whistle steam smoke motor that developed a bad segment in the armature and would not self start after stopping. In other words, the fan worked at home. Took it to club, and the whistle steam would generate smoke, but not blow it at all, even with the fill cap removed- it was not a bubble block. So today, pulled the smoke unit, tested with 2V source, fan was basically open circuit, then bumped the impeller to rotate and the fan spins. Tested it over and over and confirmed for sure a dead segment. Replaced with a new one from the parts bin. This makes the second Lionel in a few months to have this exact fault, the previous example was the earlier VisionLine 2-10-10-2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
Well before I start changing the lettering on the Rio Grande JLC Challenger I picked up to UP I wanted to get the mechanicals squared up. Basically the issue was the smoke unit and number of chuffs. From the factory these had 2 chuffs a revolution and a continuously running smoke fan. I changed the chuff cam from the factory 2 lobe to a 4 lobe cam. I installed another cherry switch next to the one that generated the chuff sound to control the smoke unit fan. @Norton was able to give me instructions on how to wire the smoke fan to the cherry switch so it would short the fan motor, making distinct puffs. I also removed the sock Lionel put around the resistor in the smoke unit from the factory, repacked the batting, and enlarged the smoke fan air intake hole to 1/4". Pretty simple 4 chuffs a revolution (double chuffs at low speed because it's an articulated) and puffing fan smoke. Much better than stock.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
Continued some work on the JLC Challenger project today. Relettered/renumbered the locomotive from Rio Grande 3803 to Union Pacific 3977. I decaled the cab and cleared it. I actually blended to clear to match the sheen of the factory Lionel paint. I only cleared where I decaled and blended/feathered the clear in. Can't even tell the side of the cab isn't factory.
Train Wheel Motor vehicle Combat vehicle Vehicle

Train Wheel Rolling stock Mode of transport Vehicle


I started work on the drop in oil bunker to convert the tender from coal to oil (UP 3977 was oil fired). Got the basics roughed in. Have to add a few more details and rivets before I paint it and install it on the tender. Then I have to decal the tender for Union Pacific and clear it, so still a bit more to get this done.
Wood Communication Device Rectangle Gas Font
 
761 - 780 of 1150 Posts
Top