Model Train Forum banner
961 - 980 of 1066 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Nice projects, everyone. I haven't posted here in a while, so I thought I'd jump back in.

A while back I found this un-painted K-Line heavyweight diner. It is now in the expert hands of Harry Hieke, who is going to paint and letter it to match my K-Line NYC "28th Anniversary" passenger set. That set was sold only as a 5-car set (no diner), so I'm looking forward to having the addition.

Train Product Rolling stock Rectangle Railway

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Good plan John. I was able to get a Lionel SS diner to go with my K-Line Tuscan set. Still have to reletter it from Lionel Lines to New York Central.

Pete

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #963 ·
Will the diner be the two tone scheme?

I have a set of K-Line NYC coaches in the pullman green. They are nice cars and I would like to add interiors eventually.

Tom

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Tom, the K-Line 28th Anniversary set was Tuscan. About the same time Lionel offered its 50th Anniversary set with a Scale Hudson and five 18” tuscan cars lettered for Lionel Lines. It was in remembrance the 1950 773 Madison set. K-Line offered a similar set to go with its Scale Hudson but lettering the cars for New York Central. They are actually some of the nicest 18” heavyweights done by anyone and feature steps that swing out to allow operation on 031 curves which the Hudson could do as well with the longer supplied drawbar. Looks terrible doing it though.

Pete

·
Registered
785 Posts
The diner will be painted all one color: tuscan, just like the K-Line cars. I also found another un-painted heavyweight coach that Harry has as well, to be painted the same way, to make this an even longer train. They will be lettered for NYC, and as a tribute to my Dad, one of the cars will be named "Ridgefield Park" which was the town where he was born. Don't ask me what the second car will be named--I don't remember, but Harry has all the instructions.

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #966 ·
Ridgefield Park? as in NYS&W territory?

I am finally making headway with a large project, painting and decaling MTH boxcars. They are a second series of nine cars I am doing for GRJ. Ten more were completed last year...

After almost a 5 month wait for the right paint to arrive, production is restarted. Each car is stripped and repainted. The five cars pictured here, are awaiting the final clear coat. Four more are being painted before decaling starts…

Musical instrument Wood Hardwood Font Folk instrument

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #968 ·
WOW, that’s a lot if painting and decals!

How’s the airbrush/Pledge clear coat working out?
It actually goes quick. I pretty much have all the trimming and decal placement down…so much so, I see them in my sleep…lol

I haven’t nailed down the Pledge technique just yet. I am using it on some personal projects, where any errors will be redone eventually. I seem to have trouble getting a light, consistent coat on the car sides. Just trying out light to start…

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #972 ·
Lookin' good, can't wait to add these to the consist. These are a vast improvement from the gaudy MTH club cars that they started as. :D
They will be ready very soon! I have four more to decal and I can knock out two a day, easily. The finishing coat takes time to dry, so hopefully within the week…

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #975 ·
Sent you a PM with a video link.

Opinion, I only like/use internal brushes. You can PM for more info.

Aaron
Thanks Aaron. Watched and subscribed. I will try the internal brush tomorrow!

Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
The cab shape on the 8005 is totally wrong for a K4 (understandable since the mold has its origins in a pre-war freelance locomotive) so rather drastic changes were in order.

Train Cloud Vehicle Motor vehicle Rolling stock

before:
Computer keyboard Peripheral Input device Toy Space bar

After:
Train Gas Wood Rolling Water

I cut the cab sides off, trimmed the running board, and then added a new cab side with the help of my wife :)
I still need to frame the cab window and fill in all the gaps, then repeat on the other side.

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #977 ·
Cool project.

What material did you use for the new cab walls?

Looks like a new headlight forming up there too!

Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cool project.

What material did you use for the new cab walls?

Looks like a new headlight forming up there too!

Tom
Thank you!!
Sheet styrene, I’d never worked with that before so it’s a new foray.

Oh yeah, I decided to move the headlight up a bit to a more scale location. I flattened and repolished a white LED, then wrapped it in styrene and mounted it to a wood platform.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
A new toy arrived. Spent today repairing shipment damage.

A lot of bent parts (pilot beyond saving-parts box rescue), replacing/reattaching broken pieces, and painting to put the model back to its original condition. Overall I’m pleased with the result & no sign of any damage is visible. Really fortunate.

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #980 ·
I have had few steamers come through the mail/UPS that were poorly packed. Two were Lionel engines with bent plows…so bent that they touched the middle rail. One used engine, a C&O Pacific via the USPS, needed a completely new pilot.

The other, brand new from MrMuffins, had a broken pilot and the front steps were loose in the box. I ended up buying a replacement pilot for that one as Lionel only offered a return and repair situation. It was a chronic issue due to poor package design by Lionel…the Legacy 4-6-6T…

I would rather do the repairs myself, rather than bounce it around in the mail system and come back broken again…

Tom

Reactions: 86TA355SR
961 - 980 of 1066 Posts