Model Train Forum banner
981 - 1000 of 1066 Posts

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
.... The other, brand new from MrMuffins, had a broken pilot and the front steps were loose in the box. I ended up buying a replacement pilot for that one as Lionel only offered a return and repair situation. It was a chronic issue due to poor package design by Lionel…the Legacy 4-6-6T…

I would rather do the repairs myself, rather than bounce it around in the mail system and come back broken again…

Tom
I wonder if Lionel wouldn't offer the replacement pilot for fear buyers would be calling for free parts in the shadow of a new purchase. If so, perhaps emailing a pic of the new unit, the packing and broken part. Lots of companies would rather send you a replacement part than perform a warranty return and repair (shipping, man hours, etc.).

·
Registered
785 Posts
Ridgefield Park? as in NYS&W territory?
That would be it..............Ridgefield Park, NJ, the little town where my Dad grew up, just a few miles over the George Washington Bridge. Living that close to New York probably explains why his favorite RR was the NYC. Naming one of the custom-painted cars Ridgefield Park was an easy choice. Its number will be 52, since that was the house number on his childhood home.

Those PRR box cars look great!!

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
That would be it..............Ridgefield Park, NJ, the little town where my Dad grew up, just a few miles over the George Washington Bridge. Living that close to New York probably explains why his favorite RR was the NYC. Naming one of the custom-painted cars Ridgefield Park was an easy choice. Its number will be 52, since that was the house number on his childhood home.

Name the second one Palisades Park :)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Name the second one Palisades Park :)
That's a great idea! If I find a third un-painted car, I'll do that. Harry already has instructions on how to letter the 2 cars, and for the life of me I can't remember what the second car's name is going to be. I guess I'll have to wait for the surprise when he's done with them.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
That's a great idea! If I find a third un-painted car, I'll do that. Harry already has instructions on how to letter the 2 cars, and for the life of me I can't remember what the second car's name is going to be. I guess I'll have to wait for the surprise when he's done with them.
Tnplate Jersey Shore cars ...

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I have a bunch of early 18” MTH heavyweights minus trucks if you are interested. They came with silhouettes. Lettered for PRR. Selling cheap. PM me if interested.

Pete

·
Registered
785 Posts
Millstonemike, I like your custom-painted commuter train. Did you paint it? Seeing the names on the cars brings back memories......especially Belmar; I used to go deep-sea fishing out of Belmar several times a year. Great fun.

Thanks, Pete, for the offer; I'm trying to keep my train-buying to a minimum right now. With 3 new steamers on the way (2 MTH Pacifics and 1 Lionel Decapod), I have reached my limit for the time being.

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #989 ·

The NYC had such a large presence there, especially nearby Weehawken. Freight yards and car floats. An amazing complex, all gone shortly after the creation of Penn Central.

A great past worth commemorating !

Thank you for the kind remarks about my PRR cars. They are on their way to GRJ as I write this!

Tom

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Millstonemike, I like your custom-painted commuter train. Did you paint it? Seeing the names on the cars brings back memories......especially Belmar; I used to go deep-sea fishing out of Belmar several times a year. Great fun.

Thanks, Pete, for the offer; I'm trying to keep my train-buying to a minimum right now. With 3 new steamers on the way (2 MTH Pacifics and 1 Lionel Decapod), I have reached my limit for the time being.
The engine and cars were sandblasted to bare metal. Then Rustoleum rattle can for paint. The lettering was done on a laser printer with two coats of rattle can clearcoat. Then sandwiched between the car body and the metal window/door inserts. The window inserts got the same treatment as the lettering. I used hot glue to hold those in place.

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #991 ·
I wonder if Lionel wouldn't offer the replacement pilot for fear buyers would be calling for free parts in the shadow of a new purchase. If so, perhaps emailing a pic of the new unit, the packing and broken part. Lots of companies would rather send you a replacement part than perform a warranty return and repair (shipping, man hours, etc.).
I sent emails with pics of the broken steps and the bill of sale. I described how it looked when I opened it. I could hear the loose parts rattling around inside before I opened the shipping box. They simply didn’t want to send the part. I even offered to pay for it. I had to wait for the locomotive parts list to be installed on their website a couple months later and purchased the part then…

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #994 ·
Thanks Laz!

I am working on a couple versions, using different paint/decal methods.

Tom

Reactions: laz57

·
Registered
24 Posts
My Acela had a broken nose cone upon receiving it back in April. I called Lionel and customer support insisted I had to send back the loco just to get a replacement part. Supposedly they weren't shipping them out because so many customers were having this issue. It made no sense to me to ship back a working engine because a user removable cosmetic piece broke during manufacturing or shipment. I had to call my dealer to get a part, and now, I have to ship the set back for an electronic problem anyway. Lionel won in the end I suppose.

I don't get why it's such an issue. It's one thing to be apprehensive to send a replacement shell or board in the mail for free, but a $6 dollar part? Doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Hi TOM,
I am wondering if you know where I can purchase O scale decals in Reading & Northern? I am thinking of doing a re paint and as of know I can’t find anything in R&N. Can these be made up by someone? I am interested in doing their new paint scheme.
That’s a nice paint job. Thought it was a model at first, but after a good look it’s the real thing in Jim Thorpe. It’s a wonderful thing when a railfan owns a railroad.

I also thought I saw an MTH special with the Fast Freight paint, but didn’t see it in a product search.

I looked at these guys when I was thinking of painting some passenger cars in D&H colors, but ended up getting another set of cars.

Custom Decals (highballgraphics.com)

I did end up having to renumber a few of the cars and ended up making my own.

(1) Using Clear Mailing Labels to Renumber Placards | Model Train Forum

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,000 ·
Hi TOM,
I am wondering if you know where I can purchase O scale decals in Reading & Northern? I am thinking of doing a re paint and as of know I can’t find anything in R&N. Can these be made up by someone? I am interested in doing their new paint scheme.
I am doing a caboose and a couple coaches for fellow. He sent me R&N decals made by CMR decals, Netzlof designs.

They make quite a wide range of R&N decals In all scales. I find them rather difficult to work with, unfortunately. They don’t seem to react with any Decal solvents I have. They tend to lift as they dry and curl if they are soaked a few seconds too long. I am in contact with the manufacturer about the issue to see what they suggest as far as a solvent to use.

You may do better to contact Highball Graphics and see if they can make them for you. If you are brave, try the CMR decals. I have had hit and miss experiences with them. Some are fine, some are very difficult.

Bob has the right idea here, I thinks….

Tom

Reactions: laz57
981 - 1000 of 1066 Posts