Model Train Forum banner
1281 - 1300 of 1344 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,284 ·
I am building a boom car for my Erie crane. It started as an Atlas Industrial Rail flat car. I beefed it up and added some rigging bins. The square bin is a blocking bin. The truck will be chained down. I need to add a spreader bar and a multitude of other wreck related details...

Tom

Cutting mat Wood Circuit component Passive circuit component Rectangle

Building Urban design Automotive design Rolling Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Cool stuff, Tom’s crane will be unique and looks as if Scratch has been busy detailing a masterpiece.

I soldered lubricator, again, this time I made sure it was a good joint. Very careful heating with torch prevented further paint damage.

Been a challenge with this one, second set back in a day but at least both can be fixed.

Gun barrel Machine Monochrome Monochrome photography Auto part

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Cool stuff, Tom’s crane will be unique and looks as if Scratch has been busy detailing a masterpiece.

I soldered lubricator, again, this time I made sure it was a good joint. Very careful heating with torch prevented further paint damage.

Been a challenge with this one, second set back in a day but at least both can be fixed.

View attachment 592492
I am surprised you don’t have a resistance soldering unit. That would have made short work of that with no paint damage.
I need to find a brass lubricator. I discovered what I thought was a diecast one from Lionel is made of lead or a similar material that is soft but can be soldered.

Gas Train Machine Metal Auto part

Pete

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
After fixing/painting the lubricator, I put the chassis back together & installed the motor. The rods are only blasted, then satin clear, await weathering, will try a few new techniques.

Font Bumper Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle Gas

I’ve spent a lot of time researching prototype pictures (very few exist, no color). The prototype was only in service a few years, pictures indicate generally clean locomotives, which this one will represent. Below is the first weathering pass, light blending of the decals.

Wheel Automotive tire Gas Automotive design Musical instrument

Tomorrow is reassemble forward engine/tender trucks, hopefully some weathering to chassis.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The rod assembly is by far the most complicated I’ve had apart/assembled. Add to that fastners are unique, & with no extra parts, I took great care. Each side took about 45 minutes to finish. Most of morning to complete.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Self-propelled artillery Combat vehicle Wheel

Yesterday I experimented with a few different oil colors for the look I wanted on the tender sides. It‘s done, start water tank tomorrow.

Audio equipment Gadget Electronic instrument Output device Musical instrument accessory

·
Registered
32 Posts
The rod assembly is by far the most complicated I’ve had apart/assembled. Add to that fastners are unique, & with no extra parts, I took great care. Each side took about 45 minutes to finish. Most of morning to complete.

View attachment 592569

Yesterday I experimented with a few different oil colors for the look I wanted on the tender sides. It‘s done, start water tank tomorrow.

View attachment 592568
Is this a 2-8-8-0 Bull Moose? If so those are really cool!!!

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,299 ·
Everything looking great! Nice to see the progress on the locomotives.

I have been tinkering with my Erie crane and boom car. The boom car is not finished yet. A couple defects to correct as well as some extra details for the car and crane itself.
Automotive tire Building Engineering Auto part Event

Rolling Rolling stock Motor vehicle Automotive tire Sky

Tom

1281 - 1300 of 1344 Posts