Model Train Forum banner
1301 - 1320 of 1344 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,303 ·
Pete, the detail on the H10 looks super. Are you going to disassemble it for painting? I guess you have to! Nice lines with brutish brow. Anything with Elesco FWHs are always a favorite.

Scratch, your engine looks great. All the hand made parts will make it a very special engine. Very
impressive work composing this engine basically from scratch.

Tom

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Aaron, I used a Lionel Legacy Mikado as the chassis donor. Its one I had gotten years ago long before prices spiked. Cost was only slightly more that what the boards cost today. The KMT shell fit was near perfect. While it still required a lot of time to finish, it was much easier than converting the K5 Pacific two rail chassis to 3 rail.

Pete

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pete, the detail on the H10 looks super. Are you going to disassemble it for painting? I guess you have to! Nice lines with brutish brow. Anything with Elesco FWHs are always a favorite.

Scratch, your engine looks great. All the hand made parts will make it a very special engine. Very
impressive work composing this engine basically from scratch.

Tom
I’m honored. It was way easier than scratchbuilding, but a steppingstone to get there. (I’m hunting for a lionel motor to make a CNJ or similar 4-6-2 next)

·
Registered
424 Posts

·
Registered
4,255 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Aaron, I used a Lionel Legacy Mikado as the chassis donor. Its one I had gotten years ago long before prices spiked. Cost was only slightly more that what the boards cost today. The KMT shell fit was near perfect. While it still required a lot of time to finish, it was much easier than converting the K5 Pacific two rail chassis to 3 rail.

Pete
Create your own brass hybrid, well done, sir. It‘s going to look beautiful in paint with all the piping.

That weathering came out great. Not too much, but just enough.

I can't weather well at all, which is why everything I put together looks factory fresh.
And they’re beautifully painted and done. Your stuff looks like MTH or Lionel delivered everytime. Fantastic models.

I’m far from an expert and think the light weathering jobs are the most difficult. Knowing when to stop is the challenge, as you know. Many models I see are way overdone, IMO. Oil paints and oil brushers give tremendous leeway, the working time is long-easily removed if needed.

Lots of different techniques add to the effect here-washes, “fading” and dry brush.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Pete
[/QUOTE]
WOW PETE, that whistle and swinging bell is really great. YOU should be a consultant to LIONEL a how to build a great NYC Engine. Well done 👍.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Train Vehicle Wheel Gas Engineering

The initial smoke box streaking effect is done. After a few days drying, I’ll blend if needed and then clear.

Train Gas Engineering Rolling stock Rolling

I think the fire / smoke box will dry much lighter. Hopeful it will. Hard to tell with oil paints. If not I’ll remove some paint and lighten the color.

Boiler needs a few days to dry, back to the running gear tomorrow. Then a bunch of decals to apply on number boards.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Looks great. What base color are you using for the firebox/smokebox?
Thank you, it’s Scale Coat “Oil & Graphite” straight out of bottle, sprayed over light grey primer. I remember correctly, it’s a semi metallic.

Sometimes I use oil paint to lighten the color after it dries or add a drop of black to darken before spraying.

Favorite color for smoke boxes. Closely matches UP practice during steam era.

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,318 ·
I finished my Erie crane and boom car, finally. I added some last details to both and I am basically satisfied with the end product.

The boom car was repainted slightly, simplifying the look a bit. I added some chains and a spreader bar.
Wood Track Rolling Gas Railway

The wrecker itself, received two cab front spot lights and a steam whistle. I touched up some of the cables with bit of silver paint…

Electronic instrument Gas Office equipment Motor vehicle Vehicle

I need a shot of the other side to show the whistle…

Tom

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Tom,

The details are a great touch, painted 2x4 ends, rusty chains and spotlights look real. I really like the rusty chain effect. The worn cables are well done, what a great idea! It’s simple and adds a lot to the crane.

You add the scale wheels to the truck?

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,320 ·
Thanks Aaron!

Lots of elements at work there. The chains were old costume jewelry pieces I painted with boxcar red paint. The wood blocks were HO lumber loads I cut apart to get smaller blocking.

I may paint a tool/equipment car to add to the train.

The truck was a 2R truck I had from a Weaver car. I have a ton of them…lol

Tom

1301 - 1320 of 1344 Posts