Model Train Forum banner
1321 - 1340 of 1344 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Road surface Asphalt Flooring Wood Floor

Scored the UP smoke stacks at a NMRA show this weekend. They’re “take off” parts from damaged locomotives, never done by aftermarket & extremely difficult to find.

Castings will be made of the two on the right. It’s worth the investment to complete projects and I can use a lot of these stacks for the era I model.

Bumper Automotive exterior Nut Rim Gas

Train Motor vehicle Engineering Combat vehicle Self-propelled artillery

Train Vehicle Engineering Rolling Gas

Painted on the pilot and chassis tonight. May get tender trucks assembled tomorrow and attach them.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
This is my first one. Castings are rough and require a lot of clean up. Instructions are sparse. The prototype is about 150 miles from me so I may have to head over and get some detail pics to figure out how it goes together. No one else has done an actual NYC 0-6-0. Not sure yet if I will three rail it. I have a Weaver USRA 0-6-0 I could swap the chassis with. We’ll see. It may just sit in front of my station like the prototype. Its a perfect candidate for Blunami.

Pete

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is my first one. Castings are rough and require a lot of clean up. Instructions are sparse. The prototype is about 150 miles from me so I may have to head over and get some detail pics to figure out how it goes together. No one else has done an actual NYC 0-6-0. Not sure yet if I will three rail it. I have a Weaver USRA 0-6-0 I could swap the chassis with. We’ll see. It may just sit in front of my station like the prototype. Its a perfect candidate for Blunami.

Pete
Best of luck on that, I’m looking forward to seeing your progress!
Those models look beautiful, no way I could afford one, but it’s really getting me looking forward to scratchbuilding a locomotive.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Good Luck with it PETE. Looks like you’ll have another great looking engine. Do they still make Utica Club up there?
Thanks Laz. I haven’t had it in quite a while but as Tom says UC is still made. While looking it up I found it interesting that FX Matt is the 4th oldest brewery in the US. Both FX Matt and Genesee have branched out and make many other brews plus contract with other name brands. Both doing well.

OB Trains, adding more detail to the tender today. Film at eleven.

Pete

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
TOM and PETE,
Yes drank lots of GENESEE while I was at Mansfield State College back in the 70s. Like the regular GENESEE as for the Cream Ale….we use to go to the Champion outlet in Perry NY and I think we paid .99 a six pack. Great deal on t shirts, sweat shirts too.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
The Mikado kit would be a nice starting point for a version I’d like to build.

His site is limited but he stocks thousands of parts if you’re ever looking for something specific. Great guy.
The tender now has all the parts supplied in the kit. The rear light was replaced with a Lionel item which has a higher pedestal to clear the rim. I plan to add a few more details. Interesting it has a wood base on the frame. I assume like the prototype.

Train Rolling stock Mode of transport Rolling Railway

Idiophone Gas Engineering Tints and shades Auto part

Here are most of the parts for the engine to give you an idea what a kit is comprised of.

Trigger Revolver Font Air gun Gun barrel

Pete

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I like the “keyed” axles so no quartering is involved. Is there a gear box and geared axle included?

Looks to be a well designed kit.

Please keep us updated on progress. Will be a unique model when complete.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,337 ·
The tender now has all the parts supplied in the kit. The rear light was replaced with a Lionel item which has a higher pedestal to clear the rim. I plan to add a few more details. Interesting it has a wood base on the frame. I assume like the prototype.

View attachment 593533

View attachment 593534

Here are most of the parts for the engine to give you an idea what a kit is comprised of.

View attachment 593535

Pete
Lots of parts. I probably missed it, but are the parts assembled with soldering or glued? Nice to have an existing prototype to work from.

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,338 ·
Flats cars….exciting stuff here.

I picked up a Bachmann On30 30’ flat car. I took it apart and rebuilt the frame so it would accept 3R O scale trucks. Mostly involved sawing off the scale couple pockets and using it to build up the truck bolsters.

I bought some archbar truck kits from Wiseman Models and assembled them with high rail wheels. All put together and painted the car. I used some old time decals I had, as well as some Erie decals. This is the end product…

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Railway

Train Wheel Rolling stock freight car Mode of transport

I bought a Weaver 40’ PRR flat car and stripped it with the intentions of repainting it into Erie. I painted it black and started trying to get the right decals but my regular supplier didn’t have them. I waited a couple weeks then grew tired of the blank car laying around, so I painted it with some PRR freight car red and decaled it for PRR…quite a transformation!

Wood Rectangle Tints and shades Composite material Roof

Vehicle Train Rolling stock freight car Automotive tire

Train Vehicle Rolling stock Rolling Railway

Tom

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Lots of parts. I probably missed it, but are the parts assembled with soldering or glued? Nice to have an existing prototype to work from.

Tom
Pretty much all soldered Tom. FWIW I am not exactly new to this. Been working on Brass engines for over half a century now. Mostly HO. First time building a complete one in O scale though.

Pete

1321 - 1340 of 1344 Posts