Model Train Forum banner
1401 - 1420 of 1464 Posts

· Premium Member
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,403 ·
A brute of an engine. The headlight location is interesting. The low mounting probably didn’t give much of a field of view to see at night…

Tom

· Registered
1,217 Posts
How appropriate!

The UP had two version, the C&O and the “shopped“ version. Take a look at page 70 for differences, mine compared to Pete’s at bottom of page.

Lionel did a great job with this one. It‘s a beauty.

Tom,

The freight cars look great, more masterpieces for your inventory.

Aaron

· Registered
437 Posts
I finally got the parts box GS4 done. I won the PS2 shells from last year's NYE Cabin Fever MTH warehouse auction for $65. The rest of the locomotive literally came out of my parts box, and is a combination of PS1/PS2/PS3 parts. Locomotive chassis is PS1 with blackened drivers, rods are satin PS2, lead truck is PS1, trailing truck PS2. Motor is a rare earth magnet, 6mm ball bearing 9234 Pittman. Tender chassis is PS3 with a drawbar stud added, trucks are PS3 with tender chains. Wire harness is from a PS3 Reading T1. I re-pinned it for the proper GS4 lighting outputs and converted it from wireless drawbar to a wire tether. Speaker is a 4ohm 50mm Visaton, boards are factory PS3 EMI boiler/tender boards.

Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Wood Automotive exterior

Circuit component Electronic instrument Motor vehicle Passive circuit component Electrical wiring

Finished locomotive.
Train Rolling stock Rolling Railway Track

Train Rolling stock Vehicle Track Railway

· Premium Member
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,406 ·
Thanks Aaron. I am gradually doing deeper mods and will eventually end up building kits for the time period I am modeling now.

Lou, your extensive labor has really produced a beautiful locomotive. The mechanical and technical improvements are impressive to read about. Thanks for sharing!

Tom

· Registered
437 Posts
Lou,

You can do it all, electronics, mechanical, and paint!

I’ve said this before, you & Pete are so impressive with electronics. I really enjoy watching the projects and stuff you build.
Some mechanical. If I can use a drill, drill press, or Dremel to fix something I'm good. If I have to machine something I contact someone like Pete who knows what he's doing.

· Registered
437 Posts
I completed the ATSF Texas I picked up from the same Cabin Fever MTH warehouse auction that I got the CNW E4 Hudson and SP GS4 from. This came unpainted with no motor, driveline, and missing detail parts. I painted/decaled it over the summer, added the missing detail parts, and added whistle and bell cords. There is no PS3 ATSF Texas sound file so I took a PS3 PRR Texas sound file and modified it with ATSF specific sounds and an ATSF 6 chime whistle. I put the wire harness together from my parts bin. All the lighting is LEDs. Tender sports twin 50mm Visaton speakers. Locomotive has my usual motor choice, a 12V 9234 Pittman with rare earth magnets and 6mm ball bearings.

Textile Automotive design Wood Art Gas

Motor vehicle Gas Watercraft Machine Electronic instrument

Train Wheel Rolling Engineering Gas

Train Wood Hardwood Railway Naval architecture

· Premium Member
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,411 ·
Great job. That is the Santa Fe engine I always wanted in O scale. You must have quite a stable of engines that you have built!

Tom

· Registered
437 Posts
Great job. That is the Santa Fe engine I always wanted in O scale. You must have quite a stable of engines that you have built!

Tom
Thanks. It's my 3rd Premier ATSF Texas. I keep buying multiples of ATSF steam because I really like the locomotives and I can get stuff on the cheap if I refinish/rebuild/upgrade them. Otherwise I couldn't afford to buy them all new. I've built or upgraded half of the locomotives in my fleet. But to say I have a fondness for ATSF steam is an understatement. I've got:

Four Premier ATSF 3460 class Hudsons: 3460 (Blue Goose with PS3 electronics installed by me), 3463 (PS2 3V), 3464 (PS3 electronics installed by me), 3465 (came to me missing boards and a motor, installed factory PS3 boiler/tender boards).

Three ATSF Northerns. Two 2900 class (MTH Premier 2903 and 2921,with PS3 installed in both by me) and a Legacy 3751 class (3759).

Three Premier ATSF Texans: A 5001 (5009) class I built and installed PS3 in, 5025 (PS2 3V), and 5012 which I painted and just installed PS3 in.

I've also got a problem with SP GS class Northerns. I've got 3, all Premier. GS4s 4449 is a PS1 upgraded to PS2 3V, 4432 I just did a full factory PS3 upgrade on, and GS6 4460 I put a PS3 steam kit in.

· Premium Member
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,417 ·
Thanks guys.

There are a number of Vallejo “washes” they sell for various colored vehicles. I used a wash designed for yellow vehicles. It is actually greenish. The wash seems to be a medium with pigment particles that settle into cracks and crevices.

It is a specific item. I works much better than the thinned paint washes I have used before. Here is a link where you can look at the various washes and their application uses.

I bought a few different ones, for dark colors, yellow and greasy dirt. I applied them with a larger soft brush. Then I ring out the brush and use it to “mop up” the puddles that get left behind…

Tom

· Premium Member
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,418 · (Edited)
A couple more paint/detail projects just finished. Both MTH cars that were stripped and repainted. Decaled with K4 decals.

A MTH Premier 40” steel boxcar. This is an early steel car paint scheme for the NYCL. I have yet to install friction bearing trucks…

Train Wheel Rolling stock Rolling Railway

Next is a MTH Railking 19th Century reefer. It started life as a MTH club car, stripped and a few details added. Another NYCL car of an earlier vintage.

Train Vehicle Rolling stock Wheel Railway

Wheel Train Vehicle Rolling stock freight car

Finally, the MTH 19th Century cars lack a detail that pretty much every real freight car of the era had. That detail is polling pockets. Polling pockets were located on each corner of the car frame and provided a point to insert a wood pole (usually carried on the engine) for the purpose of pushing cars on an adjacent track. The practice was eventually outlawed in the later 20th Century.

I scratch built a bunch of polling pockets…

Road surface Yellow Flooring Floor Pattern

Installed and filed them to clean them up a bit…

Motor vehicle Wheel Vehicle Wood Truck

Here they are, painted to match the car.

Wheel Toy Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

Interestingly, MTH did include the detail on their 19th century reefers, but none of the other 19th Century cars they produced, had them…

Tom

· Admin
48,527 Posts
Started work on the electronics install for my Yellowbelly. Mounted the smoke unit and Cruise Commander. This will be a build with an IR tether, no wires.

Wheel Train Rolling stock Motor vehicle Track

Wired up the shell lighting and such, nineteen LED's provide all the lighting features. I just have to terminate the wires in a connector and I'm ready to wire up the chassis, probably a quicker process!
Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper

All the lighting is tested and I hope ready. Here's what the shell wiring looks like.
Rectangle Slope Font Line Parallel

1401 - 1420 of 1464 Posts