Model Train Forum banner
1421 - 1440 of 1464 Posts

· Premium Member
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,421 ·
John, nice locomotive. The innards look pretty big. Must be a tight fit in that boiler.

That road map you posted must be in a city as it doesn’t have any curves…😉😉😉

Tom

· Admin
48,527 Posts
There's room, but not much extra for the Cruise Commander. The reason I mounted that and the smoke first was to make sure I could get everything to fit. If the Cruise Commander didn't fit, it would have gone in the tender. Since it fits, I'll make this one with an IR tether like the commercial Lionel.

I'll get all the stuff in... :D

· Premium Member
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,423 ·
Very nice TOM!!! I really like the look of the Central Michigan car.
Thanks Laz. It seems anytime I find what I think are unique decals to finish a car with, a commercially painted version shows up! I am waitingfor this to happen with this car.

I have a set of decals for a 34’ “Big 4” CCC&StL boxcar. I was eager to use them until I saw a MTH painted version on EBay...

Tom

· Premium Member
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,424 ·
There's room, but not much extra for the Cruise Commander. The reason I mounted that and the smoke first was to make sure I could get everything to fit. If the Cruise Commander didn't fit, it would have gone in the tender. Since it fits, I'll make this one with an IR tether like the commercial Lionel.

I'll get all the stuff in... :D
Heh….if it doesn’t fit, make it fit…lol.

Tom

· Premium Member
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,426 ·
The electronic wizards always impress. GRJ will have that beast up in no time.

Another set of beautiful cars, Tom. You’re building quite a collection.

Below is my new project, a 4-8-2. Of course, a bunch of parts await solder, a big stack is being cast, and a conversion to oil in the future prior to paint & weathering.

View attachment 595884
View attachment 595883
A diamond in the rough!

What is the pedigree of this engine? The smoke box front looks interesting. Another great project by Aaron…

Tom

· Registered
4,342 Posts
Still working on the Stevenson 0-6-0. Been running into many road blocks along the way. First it was drivers out of quarter with crankpins installed in random locations, then after looking into possible remedies including replacing the driver centers and redrilling, a friend came across a Weaver 0-6-0 two rail chassis. While I can’t use the chassis I can use the wheels so they will be getting swapped.

Then after starting to put the shell together and getting to the point if placing it on the chassis I found the steamchest was way too high, almost 2/10 ths of an inch. Milled that down today along with the crosshead supports. Not something the average modeler would have the tools to do.

Before
Train Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Rolling stock

Wood Gas Cylinder Machine Auto part

After, still fine tuning to do.

Train Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Steam engine

Pete

· Admin
48,527 Posts
Then after starting to put the shell together and getting to the point if placing it on the chassis I found the steamchest was way too high, almost 2/10 ths of an inch. Milled that down today along with the crosshead supports. Not something the average modeler would have the tools to do.
You're right about that Pete, that would have been a roadblock for me for sure! :D

· Registered
1,217 Posts
Yeah, I could tell from the stuff you've dealt with its not a shake the box kit. Really adds to the project when you have to deal with casting issues and other unplanned corrections at no fault to your own.

I’m certain this is Lobaugh, though I’m far from an expert. I recognize a lot of the parts and boiler. While great models in the day, they’re long in the tooth now and as such major projects to update.

A friend built a nice Lobaugh switcher with a modern ball bearing drive and can motor. I sent a PM with picture.

· Premium Member
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,433 ·
Still working on the Stevenson 0-6-0. Been running into many road blocks along the way. First it was drivers out of quarter with crankpins installed in random locations, then after looking into possible remedies including replacing the driver centers and redrilling, a friend came across a Weaver 0-6-0 two rail chassis. While I can’t use the chassis I can use the wheels so they will be getting swapped.

Before
View attachment 595916

View attachment 595917

After, still fine tuning to do.

View attachment 595918

Pete
Way out of my league, compared to my current project. Pete, It is going to make a great looking engine. The lowering is really dramatic…

Tom

· Registered
437 Posts
The electronic wizards always impress. GRJ will have that beast up in no time.

Another set of beautiful cars, Tom. You’re building quite a collection.

Below is my new project, a 4-8-2. Of course, a bunch of parts await solder, a big stack is being cast, and a conversion to oil in the future prior to paint & weathering.

View attachment 595884
View attachment 595883
Nice. Don't see many models of UP Mountains.

· Registered
42 Posts
I’ve almost wrapped up the tank car restoration. Decals came in this week and I was able to apply them today. Next up im thinking of 3D printing some ladders and adding a matte coat to blend it all together.
Train Wheel Rolling stock Rolling Railway

Train Wheel Rolling Rim Railway

I also had to rebuild the dome, as one of the lips had cracked off. The repair isn’t perfect, but hard to notice unless you’re looking for it. I need to learn how to do rivets better…
Electronic instrument Office equipment Engineering Auto part Wood

Electronic instrument Audio equipment Cameras & optics Auto part Gas

Lastly I got a 4 wheel pilot fabricated for the K4. I’m just 3D printing wheels to match the Marx ones there,then paint and mounting.
Wood Hardwood Metal Plywood Wood stain

Wood Flooring Hardwood Wood stain Varnish

· Admin
48,527 Posts
Wrapped up the C&O Yellowbelly upgrade, he's it's maiden passenger car run. 🙂 The only thing left is when I get the correct matching PIC I'm going to use the original sound chip that came with this locomotive, it had really good sound. The sound I'm using is just a stand-in.

A fly-by to show all the lighting features added, nineteen LED's light this puppy up. Headlight, number boards, ground lights, cab lights, flickering firebox, and lighted gauges. I suppose you could make the LED count twenty, there is the IR drawbar LED for the wireless link to the tender.

· Premium Member
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,438 ·
I’ve almost wrapped up the tank car restoration. Decals came in this week and I was able to apply them today. Next up im thinking of 3D printing some ladders and adding a matte coat to blend it all together.
View attachment 596538
View attachment 596537

I also had to rebuild the dome, as one of the lips had cracked off. The repair isn’t perfect, but hard to notice unless you’re looking for it. I need to learn how to do rivets better…
View attachment 596540
View attachment 596539

Lastly I got a 4 wheel pilot fabricated for the K4. I’m just 3D printing wheels to match the Marx ones there,then paint and mounting.
View attachment 596541
View attachment 596542

Nice work. It rewarding to restore an older piece of rolling stock. The K4 project is coming along nicely too.

Wrapped up the C&O Yellowbelly upgrade, he's it's maiden passenger car run. 🙂 The only thing left is when I get the correct matching PIC I'm going to use the original sound chip that came with this locomotive, it had really good sound. The sound I'm using is just a stand-in.

A fly-by to show all the lighting features added, nineteen LED's light this puppy up. Headlight, number boards, ground lights, cab lights, flickering firebox, and lighted gauges. I suppose you could make the LED count twenty, there is the IR drawbar LED for the wireless link to the tender.

The engine looks great. The lighter grey really makes the running gear show up as it chugs away…

Tom

1421 - 1440 of 1464 Posts