Model Train Forum banner

161 - 180 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
All great looking stuff everyone! Keep up the great work. I hope I have something to show very soon!

Tom

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
They look great. Technique? Products?
Millstonemike,
Thank you.
The material is Black Beauty sand blast grit. It comes in a few different sizes. I use the fine, as it closely represents "Chestnut" sized coal, the most common size used in many homes. In the General Model Train Discussion heading, under the topic Need all of your threads on HOW-TOs, etc, on page 11 post #107 is an explanation and video of how I make these and other loads.

·
Registered
505 Posts
nothing great but ordering this stuff up tonight..

Lionel 2065
2046-22 - front truck assembly - $7.50
2046-28 - Truck Pivot Screw - $.75
75-300 - lamp still need

Lionel 1666
259E-1 - e untit drum red - $4

Lionel 624
363-300 - 14 volt bulb bayo base clear $.50

Lionel 2020
752-9 - 18 volt bulb use 1447-300
671-238 - Side Rod Screw - $.75
671-239 - Spacer - $1.50

022 switcher switches - hope these are the bulbs...
432-301 - red bulb - / $.75
432-302 - green bulb - / $.75

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
A friend has some inter mountain hoppers, and asked me about making some ash loads. He has an ash pit on his layout, and wants to add the hoppers. My son burns rice coal, so I grabbed a container of ashes from his pike yesterday. Now I have to take a walk behind the house, and get a container from a mine fire from decades ago. A lot of ash from steam engines tend to be a pinkish orange color, so my friend suggested that I mix the two. I will add a small amount of Black Beauty to represent un burned coal. I'll post some pics as the project progresses.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Don F, THANK YOU for the reference to your detailed post and video on "HOW TO" make the coal loads you showed here. Simply a terrific tutorial with text, photos, and video of your clearly effective process.

Your process would be a great help to folks running coal drags at their large, club lay-outs; traveling lay-outs and the like.

You also led me to a forum on MTF that I'd not seen before but will visit regularly now.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Don F, THANK YOU for the reference to your detailed post and video on "HOW TO" make the coal loads you showed here. Simply a terrific tutorial with text, photos, and video of your clearly effective process.

Your process would be a great help to folks running coal drags at their large, club lay-outs; traveling lay-outs and the like.

You also led me to a forum on MTF that I'd not seen before but will visit regularly now.
whats the link?!?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

Pingman, you're quite welcome, and I glad you found the information useful. I developed the method around 2010, when a forum group I belonged to was planning a Weaver 2 bay hopper as our selection for an annual club car program we had since 2006. Weaver had lost its source for custom made coal loads, so I began experimenting with various materials. After several failed attempts, I came up with the current materials and process.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
whats the link?!?!?!?!?!
I don't know how to provide a link to the post, so this is the easiest way to direct you there.
In the General Model Train Discussion heading, under the topic Need all of your threads on HOW-TOs, etc, on page 11 post #107 is an explanation and video of how I make these and other loads.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Finally finished my FEF project. This what I started with.

88264F6D-3B50-4C0B-A86D-50C50B9B5D53.jpeg

Today.

9FB2E33F-FF03-4EFE-B4E4-3AAC1A65A83B.jpg

Besides the obvious missing parts it needed a motor and electronics. PS3 in this case.

Pete

·
Registered
471 Posts
Wow, Pete!!!

How'd you do it? Where do the donor parts come from?

I wouldn't undertake this type project, but I'm glad you did and I hope you'll tell us more about the particulars.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Carl, it was the result of a group effort. Most of the MTH parts incuding shell above came from OGR member Harmonyards. I got a few more from Lionel and fabricated a bunch of smaller parts and special fasteners myself. Shells were stripped using aircraft stripper and repainted by myself. UP Decals have become hard to find because of UP licensing requirements but I found a source on eBay.
PS2-3 experts GRJ and GGG helped with advice on the hardware and software install.
As I have been doing with my upgrades, cab curtains and a cab deck plate were added and the tether straightened.

image.jpg

Pete

·
Registered
281 Posts
Tin Village

Today I am working on my "Tin Village"

Need to come up with a material to place between shelf and table top - Lower Left Corner of Photo

Enon

Attachments

161 - 180 of 219 Posts