Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of my good buddies know this fact?? Gilbert had a method to their madness when they numbered their engines...If the cab number ended in a zero, such as a 300, there was no choo choo or smoke...If the cab number ended in 1, (301),it had choo choo only, an if it ended in a "2", (302,322, etc),it had both choo choo and smoke.Also apply s to the "W" and the "K" markings, meaning whistle and knuckle.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Good to get this info out. I knew these but I bet alot of people were surprised when they got their
newly purchased 310 in the mail. No smoke and no choo choo. Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes I did. There is also a good chapter in "Greenberg's Guide Vol II (1991)" concerning renumbering to the five digit system for engines, rolling stock and accessories.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,975 Posts
How many of my good buddies know this fact?? Gilbert had a method to their madness when they numbered their engines...If the cab number ended in a zero, such as a 300, there was no choo choo or smoke...If the cab number ended in 1, (301),it had choo choo only, an if it ended in a "2", (302,322, etc),it had both choo choo and smoke.Also apply s to the "W" and the "K" markings, meaning whistle and knuckle.
From a buddy with only one diesel Flyer locomotive. :)
I had a Steam locomotive but gave that to Reckers many years ago, it was an El Cheapo flyer. Miss him on the site.

Good info, if I ever get some S trains I will only look for the 2's. ;)(y)
But you list, none/choo choo only/and choo choo & smoke.........didn't they make any with just smoke without the choo choo?
Or is the choo choo part of the smoke unit?

I hope life is good out there now.
You were getting hit with a lot of problems lately. :(

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
I have one AF steamer with no smoke and no choo choo. Yes, it ends in a zero.
A 350 Royal Blue. It is such a unique locomotive I had to have one. But, when I run it
there is something lacking. Shame. Such a nice looking engine. When the Royal Blue
came out it was a Bottom Of the Line locomotive. My Royal Blue is a 1948 version.
With separate metal handrails. Like the 1948 302. I have never seen a 1948 302AC.
I do not have any of the nice books on Gilbert engines. I use Gilbert Gallery. Not a complete
guide but works for me in most cases. They do not mention a 1948 302AC. They did
mention very early 1948 302s had smoke in tender. Never seen one of them either.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Flyernut I was aware of the numbering system but always good that you posted a reminder.
How are you doing now days?

Kenny

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
If one purchases following that rule it can lead to trouble. It was only in effect for 1946 and 1947. In 1948 the (1) variant was dropped. Even then it was ignored when convenient to do so, try to find a 321 with just choo choo. Gilbert released the 290 in 1949, ends in a zero but has smoke and choo choo. Then came the 353, no smoke or choo choo, and what was a 3 supposed to mean? Then the 356 with both smoke and choo choo.
By the way, a 5 was used during the link coupler era to signify a tender whistle, 325, 285, 295, except when a 4 was used, 314.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Always wondered why they made the 307 and 308. I have both of these, the 307 had no smoke or choo choo and the 308 is choo choo only.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
In the KC era numbers were used more randomly. Interestingly the 303 was the only Atlantic for several years even though it was supposed to be lower cost. The 307 and 308 were added as cheaper alternatives to meet buyers price points on low cost sets. We can wonder why the number 306 was skipped.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Thanks Tom for blowing a hole in things. You are correct. Bottom line - Be careful out there guys.
I had not thought about the 290. Gilbert had alot of variables.

Question, does the 353 Circus engine have smoke or choo choo. I do not have one but I think
the 353 does not have these items. Been wrong before. Sometimes I wonder "what was Gilbert thinking".

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
The 353 has neither smoke nor choo choo. A few were made with wire handrails but try to find one.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From a buddy with only one diesel Flyer locomotive. :)
I had a Steam locomotive but gave that to Reckers many years ago, it was an El Cheapo flyer. Miss him on the site.

Good info, if I ever get some S trains I will only look for the 2's. ;)(y)
But you list, none/choo choo only/and choo choo & smoke.........didn't they make any with just smoke without the choo choo?
Or is the choo choo part of the smoke unit?

I hope life is good out there now.
You were getting hit with a lot of problems lately. :(
The smoke unit has the choo choo built into it. It's possible to have just the choo choo sound.. Gilbert just didn't use the mold for the casting of the smoke unit itself.. As for my health woes, I posted a long reply to it in the 302AC thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts