1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My favorite RR car
I have too many for my layout.

I have plethora of 'cabooses' [sic].
So many, that over 90% are still in their original boxes.
Can't help myself... I've been a hopeless fan since my grandfather (a NYNH&H conductor) took me on a freight run from New Haven to Boston.

Since that day, I've collected caboose models of different brands... starting with a Roundhouse McGinnis kit, and continuing throughout my current roster of SP, Cotton Belt, and Frisco cabs, mostly Walthers Proto, Centralia Car Shops, Athearn RTR, and, (believe it or not) a few Atlas Trainman... they offer a very decent center cupola C&O type.

Wherever I can (within a realm of plausibility) I place a static one on a spur, to just sit in waiting... or just plain for the heck of it.
In addition, I've managed to squeeze-in a pair of short terminal tracks to hold 6 or 8.
Even with drawers full of them, I continue to scoop up deals at shows and sales, knowing that it borders on idiocy.
WalthersC-30_#727_002.jpg
SSWCab#45_004.jpg
FriscoCab#1128_002.jpg

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Do you have a pre-70's IC?

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
“Some” of mine.....the 2 Canadian ones are Trueline Trains, and the CB&Q is a Rapido....

·
Premium Member
4,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the 'tail wagger' on The Camel mail train.
RIcab_001.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Very nice! Is that a Roundhouse caboose?

Edit: my question is answered in the other thread, sorry about that.....

·
Premium Member
4,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What... like you expect to view all the threads at the same time?! :ROFLMAO: Lotsa' luck, Hobo, you multitasking rascal!

·
Registered
367 Posts
My favorite RR car

Can't help myself... I've been a hopeless fan
View attachment 552288 View attachment 552289 View attachment 552290
My favorite RR car

Can't help myself... I've been a hopeless fan
My favorite RR car

Can't help myself... I've been a hopeless fan since my grandfather (a NYNH&H conductor) took me on a freight run from New Haven to Boston.

Since that day, I've collected caboose models of different brands... starting with a Roundhouse McGinnis kit, and continuing throughout my current roster of SP, Cotton Belt, and Frisco cabs, mostly Walthers Proto, Centralia Car Shops, Athearn RTR, and, (believe it or not) a few Atlas Trainman... they offer a very decent center cupola C&O type.

Wherever I can (within a realm of plausibility) I place a static one on a spur, to just sit in waiting... or just plain for the heck of it.
In addition, I've managed to squeeze-in a pair of short terminal tracks to hold 6 or 8.
Even with drawers full of them, I continue to scoop up deals at shows and sales, knowing that it borders on idiocy.
I feel your pain!

·
Premium Member
4,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another Walthers Proto SP C-30.
Just about extinct in the USA.
On European eBay these days for big bucks.
WalthersC-30_#687_04.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Athearn RTR WideVision caboose is a very decent model.
However, their (Bright Red) Cotton Belt version with the silver roof is a bit of a marketing oversight.

They were delivered with silver (galvanized) roofs, but they rapidly discolored into a hideous gray-brown, so within a month or so 95% of them were painted black. The remainder followed within a year.

I updated the roof color, and added wipers, firecracker antenna, and a prototype roof-mounted FrogEye marker light.

Their Freightcar Red version is accurate.
SSWcab1~3.jpg
SSW45cupola_004.jpg
IMG_7450~2.jpg
AthearnRTRwv8~2.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Atlas Trainman center cupola cabs are one of the hobby's best bargains.

Very acceptable detail, excellent paint & lettering, and separately applied corner grabrails.
LHS price is usually in the $12-$15 range.
TrainmanSPCab_002.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
In Strasburg, PA, there is a Caboose Motel with a nice assortment of Cabeese for people to lodge. Perhaps you could model something like that. At least it is another reason to buy more!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts