Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only have one of these and a previous thread has inspired me to fix it up a little.
The project:

Lots of minor and major problems.

The worst of it being the broken roof corner (which I have already cut out) and the previous repair around the chimney.
Some scrap plastic and Proweld took care of the missing corner. More scrap and the chimney is refitted.

I think that I have convinced myself to strip and repaint so I took a pic of the road plaque to enable a new decal to be made.

Choice of colour will probably be Medium Sea Grey if it comes closest to matching the sides of the decking.

·
Yard Master & Research
11,774 Posts
Yep, looks good! :thumbsup:

Getting out of hand I rounded up more examples. That way this can be the official work caboose thread with links to the others.

That corner doesn't have much support. When I use a piece, I always take it over the wall to get the better surface area. By cutting a junk caboose you can get that divider on the roof on your transplant, and make your cut more to the forward side over the wall and corner.

As you can see, there is more than one way to hang a corner. :D

This was my second 2419 . I just epoxied the corners and sanded.

Two other 6119 work caboose threads.

One
I couldn't resist an ebay purchase. The worm was free.

Two
At the top of a box lot, that was eaten up. It helped reduce the price.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A pic of the underside of the corner. I had to replace the end slat which is supporting the edge of the added on corner because I had cut back to the edge of the wall to get to the forward edge of the roof joint. I mixed up a batch of colour using medium sea grey as a base, it is on the near side above the handrail. The match is pretty good and coupled with the slatted walls and decking I should be able to repaint portions without it being noticable after a bit of sanding of the grey primer. There are too many chips to try and fix so I am just going to paint them.
I prepared this on my home work bench with just an Excel knife and a couple of files, I had previusly squared out the corner using a Zona saw. You don't need a bunch of special tools, they just make the job easier if you have them to hand.

·
Hobo for Life
7,131 Posts
It will take time grasshopper. :)Don't rush the paint job after that great repair job. ( I would have allready done several coats, I hate waiting for paint to dry).
T-man plastic eating termites? I envy you for buying that stuff. I wouldn't have the cohonas.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The cabin painted and most of the chips touched up. I'll have to take my little bottle of piant home to finish the touch-ups on the rest of the caboose. It needs a buffing or a coat of semi-gloss to bring out the slight sheen these cars have or aquire after years of handling. The screw mounts will need some adjusting as well, I think the plastic came out with most of the screws and some were already loose. May be able to get away with using screws with a coarser thread.

·
Hobo for Life
7,131 Posts
Looks nice, another idea for the screws ( if the female plastic part is in good shape), is a bit of plumbers putty to snug in up. This will only work if there a little striped and not broken. Servoguy good idea on drilling a bit deeper, I might have tryed larger diameter screws myself.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is a good candidate to chisels all hand rail in install new one made in brass or iron if you want.
Very nice restoration.
Andre.
Thanks but no thanks!
If I were to do that then I would want to start with a near new looking example. Then I would have to do the same to the rest of the consist. You, sir, are trying to cause me a ton of work, Andre!:D

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I taste one day the kadee flavor and was the end for my lionel couples, then I did what I recommend to you and was worst because the fever start, now I am 2 rail and I hope to stop with that here. But honestly worth the trip!!
Here is the sample.....don't worry about the rest, look just the hand rails.:D
actually you can notice that I didn't change all the hand rails...:eek:hwell:

No intention to hijack your thread this is just a sample.

Andre.

·
Admin
47,321 Posts
For screw holes that are worn out, I just fill them with JB-Weld and then drill them again after I let it set for a day. I've fixed a ton of engine shells that way, as well as quite a few cars and cabooses. I'm a lot more often "under the hood" of an engine, so that's where I normally see the issue.

·
Railroad Tycoon
25,618 Posts
You AG,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Are aka, THE BRASS MAN. :smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice work Andre. I am able to do the fabrication I just don't choose to go that far on my toy trains. My limit so far has been restenciling 'G' scale White Pass rolling stock.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.