Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no problem understanding how any government can waste money.

But.

How the heck does a train cost $77 billion?

That would take a trainload of people to Mars and back.

T

·
0 Posts

But.

$77 Billion is just the Baseline. The plan allows for the cost to possibly reach $98 Billion! That number is outside of my realm of comprehension. They might as well have said it was going to cost
a GAZILLION-KAGILLION.

Emile

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
what gauge?
DC, DCC, or LEGACY control?
LED lighting in passenger cars?

project is about 10 years old now, right?

·
Registered
719 Posts
This will never get anywhere near completion.

California is so broke that the $$$ will be siphoned off for other purposes.

They'll probably end up building light rail on the existing roadbed to get -something- running on it... ;)

·
Registered
2,584 Posts

But.

It not just the train, it's everything else that goes with it that drives the cost through the roof.

They have all these environmental impact studies to do and then they have to acquire the right of way (property) This is not the 1800s when they just confiscated what ever land was necessary and the days of cheap labor is gone.

California has some of the most expensive real estate in the country.

California has mostly nice weather year round that favored the automobile and they built a massive amount of freeways to accommodate that.

Calif had a mass transit system at one time known as Pacific Electric Railway Company, nicknamed the Red Cars
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Electric

Part of what cost so much.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
It not just the train, it's everything else that goes with it that drives the cost through the roof.

They have all these environmental impact studies to do and then they have to acquire the right of way (property) This is not the 1800s when they just confiscated what ever land was necessary and the days of cheap labor is gone.

California has some of the most expensive real estate in the country.

California has mostly nice weather year round that favored the automobile and they built a massive amount of freeways to accommodate that.

Calif had a mass transit system at one time known as Pacific Electric Railway Company, nicknamed the Red Cars
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Electric

Part of what cost so much.
In my experience, people who start threads like this aren't really interested in the true facts... they just want to ridicule something they don't understand.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In my experience, people who start threads like this aren't really interested in the true facts... they just want to ridicule something they don't understand.
That is harsh and judgmental.

It is a legitimate question.

I guess that a response might be that people who post responses like that have nothing substantive to add.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
One problem I see for the Bullet train is competition from the airlines. Presently there are 15+ flights per day, 1h 35m duration from San Diego to San Francisco.

For More information about the California High-Speed Rail
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_High-Speed_Rail

Maximum nonstop travel times for each corridor must not exceed the following times, according to Proposition 1A

San Francisco - Los Angeles Union Station: 2 hours, 40 minutes
Oakland - Los Angeles Union Station: 2 hours, 40 minutes
San Francisco - San Jose: 30 minutes
San Jose - Los Angeles: 2 hours, 10 minutes
San Diego - Los Angeles: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Inland Empire - Los Angeles: 30 minutes
Sacramento - Los Angeles: 2 hours, 20 minutes

·
Registered
63 Posts
So much will depend on the transition experience from local ground transportation (car, taxi, Uber, etc) to actually boarding the mode of travel (plane or train). The route specifically addressed is the longest route of that you listed, and the longer the route the more advantageous for the plane.

Currently the airport will consume a significantly greater period of time to get to/from the airport (especially if you're parking a car), thru the TSA system and onto the airplane.

If you can avoid even half of that time on the train then the times will get pretty darn close. I also suspect the seating arrangements will be more comfortable on the train and likely on-train WiFi will allow productivity enroute.

And pricing will be a major factor. I suspect the train fares would be considerably lower.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Everywhere I've been that has regular reliable passenger train service, people use it and seem to like it. To my knowledge it's all subsidized. So carry on, it'll probably work out in the end.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Air travel is heavily subsidized. Taxes on tickets and jet fuel don't begin to pay for airport infrastructure and air traffic control services, dedicated fire/crash/rescue and associated expenses like roads, police, etc.

BTW, I'm a retired major airline pilot and I saw it every day. That's why Southwest is vehemently opposed to high speed rail between Houston and Dallas. I'll guarantee the airlines are lobbying big time to kill any rail that jeopardizes the virtual lock they have on intercity travel of short to moderate distances.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
If Alexandria gets her way, airplanes won't be an option. Anyway, the world's gonna end in a dozen years, and the railroad won't be built by then. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Texas is pushing hard for a PRIVATELY FUNDED high speed rail system between Houston and Dallas.

https://www.texascentral.com

There are many points of resistance, primarily and understandably, from land holders who don't want the train passing thru their property. The roadbed is elevated to allow farmers and equipment to pass under the rails with no grade level crossings. If you've ever personally seen Japanese or European high speed trains they are unbelievably quiet. Those opposed often use noise as a primary argument against it but it isn't based in reality.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
If Alexandria gets her way, airplanes won't be an option. Anyway, the world's gonna end in a dozen years, and the railroad won't be built by then. :rolleyes:
I wouldn't be to concerned about her, I think her shinning star is getting close to flaming out.

I think this has been an interesting conversation about these trains and what all is involved.

I think airplanes will continue to be an option. Boeing is already working with Uber and has a prototype flying.

Boeing's first test flight of air taxi a success as it works on making Uber Air a reality
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/23/boeing-takes-step-in-developing-uber-air--with-successful-test-flight.html

1 - 20 of 44 Posts