Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_0700.JPG

I got this in a lot of 2 locomotives and 4 pieces of rolling stock for $23 (As a side question, is that a good deal?) It contained for lionel a locomotive and 3 freight cars, and for AHM a locomotive and 1 passenger car. But when this showed up in the mail, this came with it. Can anyone tell me who made it and what set it came out of?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
View attachment 542980
I got this in a lot of 2 locomotives and 4 pieces of rolling stock for $23 (As a side question, is that a good deal?) It contained for lionel a locomotive and 3 freight cars, and for AHM a locomotive and 1 passenger car. But when this showed up in the mail, this came with it. Can anyone tell me who made it and what set it came out of?
ATTDCC;

That water tower was made and sold by Revell models many, many, years ago. If by "what set it came out of" you are referring to a typical "train set" with a locomotive, a few cars, a circle of track, and a power pack; The water tower did not come from such a set.
However, Revell did sell a "set" of four building kits that included this water tower and the downspout that was connected by underground pipe to this tower. The remote downspout was used to fill the water compartments of steam locomotive tenders.
The other three buildings were an elevated railroad crossing watchman's shanty, an interlocking tower, and a small general-purpose shed. Revell later sold their designs & tooling to other companies. I think AHM offered the same building kits at one time. By "for Lionel a locomotive and three freight cars" do you mean a loco and cars that are O-gauge? (twice the size of the AHM loco and passenger car) The water tower, and AHM loco and passenger car are probably HO-scale. A photo of all of your new purchases would help to identify what you have. Was it a good deal? That depends on what you got, and what condition it's in. Do the locomotives run? Are there any obvious pieces missing from the models? Wheels for instance. A loco that runs would usually be worth $23 by itself, so you probably did alright.

Traction Fan

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ATTDCC;

That water tower was made and sold by Revell models many, many, years ago. If by "what set it came out of" you are referring to a typical "train set" with a locomotive, a few cars, a circle of track, and a power pack; The water tower did not come from such a set.
However, Revell did sell a "set" of four building kits that included this water tower and the downspout that was connected by underground pipe to this tower. The remote downspout was used to fill the water compartments of steam locomotive tenders.
The other three buildings were an elevated railroad crossing watchman's shanty, an interlocking tower, and a small general-purpose shed. Revell later sold their designs & tooling to other companies. I think AHM offered the same building kits at one time. By "for Lionel a locomotive and three freight cars" do you mean a loco and cars that are O-gauge? (twice the size of the AHM loco and passenger car) The water tower, and AHM loco and passenger car are probably HO-scale. A photo of all of your new purchases would help to identify what you have. Was it a good deal? That depends on what you got, and what condition it's in. Do the locomotives run? Are there any obvious pieces missing from the models? Wheels for instance. A loco that runs would usually be worth $23 by itself, so you probably did alright.

Traction Fan
It is lionel ho, not o scale.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts