Model Train Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I did a search and didn't really find anything.
I figured 3 rail has the center rail positive, and the outer rails negative.

So I'm thinking.....why not? Am I correct? Thought I would ask before I destroyed something.

Jody

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Reverse loops are specifically what 3 rail was designed for and why Marklin still uses it in their HO line...albeit with the more realistic looking studs.:thumbsup:

·
Yard Master & Research
11,055 Posts
Understanding and completing are two different animals.
To accomplish it, some track may need to be modified. I used two 6 inch straight pieces for two loops.

Using o gage track and 022 switches you need seven curves, two straight and one 6 inch straight with a switch to complete the loop.

The strait end at the Y connects to the 6 inch straight, one curve pointing away from the loop then 6 curves and two straight to connect to the turn on the switch.
I am sure there are other variations but I wanted to show one.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,857 Posts
Ok, I did a search and didn't really find anything.
I figured 3 rail has the center rail positive, and the outer rails negative.

So I'm thinking.....why not? Am I correct? Thought I would ask before I destroyed something.

Jody
I have my round house yard set up with switches.
I can turn mine all ways.:D

Check out my #4 Crummy video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSG72ljq6To

·
Registered
373 Posts
Don't they call single main lines with two reverse loops "dog bones?" I'm thinking a bent or folded dog bone may make for some good action in a Christmas layout.

·
Yard Master & Research
11,055 Posts
Looks like a dogbone to me.

The folded dogbone is the most efficient way of cramming one continuos track in a space. I was told this years ago. I believe it to be true.

My feeble attempt was thwarted by the switches. If I find two that work I will do a movie.

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Here's another dogbone -- a folded one -- offering a large run of track in a limited space (per T-Man's comment) ...

Scott ... I'm not sure I agree with your statement that a dogbone must cross over itself.

Cheers,

TJ

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Here's another dogbone -- a folded one -- offering a large run of track in a limited space (per T-Man's comment) ...

Scott ... I'm not sure I agree with your statement that a dogbone must cross over itself.

Cheers,

TJ
I guess my point is that the track doesn't double back on itself as in a return loop. Every dogbone style layout plan I've seen is basically a loop at each end continuous run style track. With the tracks in the middle being pulled closer to each other but not into a return loop.

·
Registered
373 Posts

Cheers,

TJ
I would figure that, like GunRunner said, you could add switches and eliminate the double main line and still have a dog bone.

FWIW from a simple brakeman

1 - 15 of 15 Posts