Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Skimming through the Lionel Big Book I spotted the Lionel 120 year celebration caboose. Orange & blue, would go great with my Lionel Orange & Blue series from 15 years ago or so.

Then the price hit me like a 2x4 between the eyes. $115 for a simple Northeastern caboose. The listed out of this world features were interior lighting and a couple little people, which pretty much is standard for every caboose over $40.

Lionel must think we are dumb & dumber. Its not really the price but the gall of the Lionel bean counters that think that folks will open their check book because it has Lionel Lines plastered on the side. I am sure their are plenty of folks that will jump at the chance for a 120 year celebration caboose but not this guy.

Bill

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
I am sure their are plenty of folks that will jump at the chance for a 120 year celebration caboose but not this guy.
And therein lies the reason they price them that way.....there are plenty of folks who will spend the money.....when they start getting no sales, then the prices may go down....

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
It’s not just cabooses, it’s across the board. I’m never one to complain about pricing, but Lionel’s pricing structure is limiting me to buying only the absolute ‘must haves’. And even those purchases are getting fewer every year. I passed on a few items from recent Lionel catalogs (even some MTH & Atlas O) that I really liked. I have enough trains for several lifetimes so I’m not hurting, but I miss the excitement I had for catalog premieres that is tempered by the pricing.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
FYI what appears to be the same camera used in the camera cabeese and passenger cars can be had on eBay for <14 bucks. Its listed on their parts page for $120.00. You know what Lionel is charging for the cars. I have one of these cameras on order and will let you know how it works. Should not be that difficult to add to a piece of rolling stock or diesel engine of your choice.

Pete

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
The bell doesn’t ring anymore

Remember when the Lionel catalog release was kinda like hearing the Polar Express bell ring. In the book, almost almost everyone grew up and could no longer hear the sound.

The Lionel catalog release used to be like that for us.

With the high prices and QC problems, the bell no longer rings. The shell is there but the clapper is missing. And it is no longer fun.

Hopefully they can succeed in putting it back. Truth be told, we can afford some of the prices but the QC problems are simply too much.

Before dinner we were running a Vision Line N and W Genset engine. The bell still rings with that.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
FYI what appears to be the same camera used in the camera cabeese and passenger cars can be had on eBay for <14 bucks. Its listed on their parts page for $120.00. You know what Lionel is charging for the cars. I have one of these cameras on order and will let you know how it works. Should not be that difficult to add to a piece of rolling stock or diesel engine of your choice.

Pete
THough I donlt think you need any assistance here ...

Look at my post today on the tinplate forum in the CupolaCam thread.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

Pete
Though I don't think you need any assistance here ...

Look at my post today on the tinplate forum in the CupolaCam thread.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
That appears to be the same camera I ordered but from a different source. I had planned to use a similar buck convertor. I wasn't sure if a battery was included or not. I was pretty astounded when I saw what Lionel wants for what appears to be the same camera. I know I have bought a number of the NYC style plastic cabooses they are using for under 15 bucks. That would put total cost at around 30 bucks. 30, 190....30, 190.... which way do I want to go???

Pete

·
Registered
470 Posts

Pete
Pete, please post the eBay link; I'd like to check it out also.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
That appears to be the same camera I ordered but from a different source. I had planned to use a similar buck convertor. I wasn't sure if a battery was included or not. I was pretty astounded when I saw what Lionel wants for what appears to be the same camera. I know I have bought a number of the NYC style plastic cabooses they are using for under 15 bucks. That would put total cost at around 30 bucks. 30, 190....30, 190.... which way do I want to go???

Pete
Well I was just showing a path. There's a bizzillion options for regulators, etc.

The camera in your link does not appear to have a battery. It's made for constant USB power source.

In my pic, the battery / camera connector is a JST - XH 2.5 mm connector. That specific connector is found in many RC battery applications. RC is a huge hobby so there's lots interchangeable devices at competitive prices.

The cam battery can be charged with a USB charger: Pictured battery Charger Link at Horizon Hobby.

Charger.png

Here's a Link to my pictured camera. There's a long list of high level tech spec.'s to gleam there. Like battery spec.'s - so I'd expect it to be included - and camera current draw, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts