Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

:( I was wiring up a flex atx 300 watt power supply and somehow managed to connect the -12 volt tap to my 12 volt leds and the power supply went DOA. no power output and fan does not run tried jumping power/on to black common wire no response.
I looked inside cannot see anything burnt sizzled have not looked on trace side of board only the top component side. can it be fixed by someone that is electronics savy diagnose it and replace part/s
its only a $50 supply but why toss if it can be repaired I already cut the unneeded wires off and seeing I broke it can't see returning as a warranty exchange.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
You will have to take it apart and examine the board and components.

You can't tell if it's worth repairing until you open it up.

Maybe a transistor, cap, or resistor bought it. Look for scorch marks on the board, bulging caps, and melted transistors.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked at the soldered in fuse on pcb board and it shows continuity so that's ok. none of the components appear bulging nor scorched nor solder spray anywhere. only thing I find questionable is an solder trace area that a pathway approximately 1/4" wide appears raised by 1/16" and is 3 inches in length under where I believe the transformer sits but no dark areas nor is the solder broken. it also has this 3/4 inch round wire wheel is both copper color wire in a semi circle and a red insulated copper wire haven't a clue what it is or called.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts