Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After many years, going to set up my HO set. This track was purchased in the early 80's and I think its Nickel Silver but not positive. Need to order some new track and want it to match. Im sure the switch machine screws are brass and they are much darker so Im assuming its nickel silver.
Thanks, Gerry

·
Registered
96 Posts
metalic track

Nickel is magnetic. My snap tracks are magnetic. What is surprising, is my flex tracks are non-magnetic allthough also not brass. Brass is an alloy of about 66% copper and 33% Zinc, neither is magnetic. Iron and Cobalt are the other 2 magnetic materials

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Nickel is magnetic. My snap tracks are magnetic. What is surprising, is my flex tracks are non-magnetic allthough also not brass. Brass is an alloy of about 66% copper and 33% Zinc, neither is magnetic. Iron and Cobalt are the other 2 magnetic materials
What you likely have is steel track which looks similar to nickel track and is magnetic. Tyco put it out for awhile as sectional track back in the late 70s/early 80s. Nickel silver track is not magnetic.

·
Registered
96 Posts
metal tack

I guess it is steel, gets discolored but pulls with a magnet. Not enough Nickel in the new alloy track for the magnetic pull.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts