Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all----I am working on a Southern Railway locomotive and am looking for a motor (see photo). I have looked high and low on the internet and can't even find a picture of one of these. Can someone tell me where i can either get another motor, or parts for this motor. I could replace the carbon springs if I can find them.

Any help appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
814 Posts
That's what's usually referred to as a pancake drive. They were common on every level trains in the past. I assume that is a Life Like or a Bachmann?
They can sometimes be repaired but if you post a picture of the loco I can probably direct you to a cheap donor loco. I might even have one.

If you're sure it's the brushes send me a PM and I'll point you in the direction of some guys who probably have them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Searching for motor

Hi and thanks for the comback. Here is a photo of the loco. I assume the shell is what you want but I will also post a pic of the guts.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,361 Posts
It's just too bad that the seller has it priced at about $15.00 more than it's worth.......:eek:hwell:

·
Registered
814 Posts
That's a Bachman GP30, the exact same loco was originally made by Kader for Lionel.

It may be fixable, but buying a replacement is probably easiest. Cheap ones will pop up on ebay from time to time. This is one of those items that if you're patient you can probably at a train show for what ebay will cost you for shipping.

Interestingly, with minor changes, the same shell (with better paint) was put on an 8wd chassis and released as "Spectrum", then "Bachmann Spectrum", then "Plus" and now it's part of Bachman's base level stuff.

You can trim out a few inner tabs on the roof and that shell will actually fit on the plus/spectrum/current chassis, but it will be a pressure fit without any screw attachments.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cant find one of these

Eilif---Thanks for the info. You are correct. I just put in an offer for an exact Southern loco on ebay. Starting bid is 15.95. It's new in the box and has a price of 31.95 visible on the box. I offered $20. We shall see.

·
Registered
826 Posts
If you like GP30's (I do), I'd suggest you check ebay for what's available in "new-old-stock" Proto2000 models...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts