Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,310 Posts
While your down there go take a look at the cement vessel that is sitting at Sunset beach. (Why is in the link below)

2861106954_51ed8e4d7d_b.jpg

IMG_2679_500.jpg

You living in New Jersey may not know?
Take a look when you get the time at my Old Jersey thread.
If you want. :smokin:

https://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=3808

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we went down to "Diamond Beach" where the cement ship is and walked a ways on the beah. we came up to a building, all steel, just sitting in the open and huge... 15ft high? and tapered at the top.
after talking to people, they say it used to be burried and the tapered piece was where the ground level was and that is where the people could shoot from if needed too.

i dont know if they dug it up or if erosion uncovered all of it.

there are also the towers going down the street leading back to the beach that i was told were soldier lookouts....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wow. The old cee-ment ship of Cape May. I got a look at it in 1969-70. Its looking rather ragged compared to my memory of it. I also seem to remember something about a 7 or 8 mile long beach nearby, which I apparently got lost on, (seperated from my parents) for a while. I was 7 or 8 yrs old. "Good times."

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
check this out...
go here ... Historic Aerials: Viewer
enter Sunset Blvd, Cape May, NJ 08204
click go

click aerials

choose year. while not the best you can still see how much was there in 1931 and not much in 2015...

this site is great for all kinds of locations like even around your house... or the beach and see how many houses have eroded away

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,310 Posts
Ahhhh, brings back memories of old beachcomber Ed with the old (young) lady.
We put some miles on the boat and exploring the sands.
If we could only turn back time.:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts