Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am currently working on a carfloat scene for my new layout. I thought I would do a search on this forum for such subjects.

i was surprised there was very discussion(s) of this subject,...or did I do my search incorrectly

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
Can you describe or show a picture of just what you mean? I can think of several different things the term might refer to.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Can you describe or show a picture of just what you mean? I can think of several different things the term might refer to.
Really? 'Cause maybe my imagination is limited but I can't.... although I can thing of several different variations of designs for railroad car ferries - some fully self-propelled powered ferries, some just plain open barges with rails that get moved around with a tugboat - but it's all the same concept: moving rail cars by water.

Lots of variations on a theme actually, but just one overall concept.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good video Tom C.
Did he do a second one,...a follow up one he mentions?

BTW Walthers did a number of kits related to car floats.

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
Really? 'Cause maybe my imagination is limited but I can't.... although I can thing of several different variations of designs for railroad car ferries - some fully self-propelled powered ferries, some just plain open barges with rails that get moved around with a tugboat - but it's all the same concept: moving rail cars by water.

Lots of variations on a theme actually, but just one overall concept.

Interesting: I never heard an automobile ferry called a car float. Most of the time olks mean something like that very cool dragon, os something like is in the Rose Bowl parade.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,303 Posts
Since I am currently working on a carfloat scene for my new layout. I thought I would do a search on this forum for such subjects.

i was surprised there was very discussion(s) of this subject,...or did I do my search incorrectly
I think years ago we did have someone that made one.
It takes up a lot of room for O scale.

What are you doing it in HO?
N scale would be perfect to model these.

Here is one way to get more on the space you have on a car float,

CarFloatBarges.jpg

New York Harbor had many of these coming out of the old CNJ Communipaw (Jersey City) terminal.

image-asset.jpeg

image-asset (1).jpeg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WOW, fantastic images

WOW, thanks for those images. I don't think I've seen those before. Do you happen to know who took them, or their source?

I would like to repost them on another forum, but some 'back-seat lawyers' get upset about that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HO central peninsula

Yes I am doing a new layout in HO scale. Its a double deck, around the wall, with a central peninsula.....inside its own Handi-house shed.

This is the original Tupper Lake/Faust Junction peninsula track plan I was using as inspiration.

That plan had a passenger train station in the peninsula area. My new plan is going to be much more 'industrialized' , and that station location is now becoming a container terminal zone.

By happenstance I ran across a carfloat model at our local flea market. What if I were to put that out on the end of my peninsula across from my other waterfront scene? ...another tug boat barge item....a port facility .

Here is where I first placed that original peninsula scene over my tentative layout plan at first,..

...to be continued

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,303 Posts
WOW, thanks for those images. I don't think I've seen those before. Do you happen to know who took them, or their source?

I would like to repost them on another forum, but some 'back-seat lawyers' get upset about that.

Courtesy of the New Jersey State Archives at Trenton, the one picture has on the lower right corner who took them.
There are other shots of this terminal out there on the net.

image-asset (2).jpeg

Have you ever heard of the Black Tom explosion?
1916......happened there. Statue of Liberty sits right off Black Tom.

A wiki, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Tom_explosion

Edit, a google search of pictures of the damage I don't know how the link will work for you,
https://www.google.com/search?q=black+tom+explosion+pictures&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS723US723&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjf3Z3m4OrmAhUo1VkKHZL_CxEQ_AUoAnoECAwQBA&biw=1600&bih=746

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,303 Posts
Where will you place the car floats?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
That long blue item is the car float I picked up at a flea market (surprised you can say) .

It is made in 2 parts so I will likely arrange it like this,..

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,303 Posts
That long blue item is the car float I picked up at a flea market (surprised you can say) . It is made in 2 parts so i will likel arrange it like this,..
XXX
OK. I see it, I thought you were going to make up some barges.
I wonder why it is made in two pieces? Two barges would have been better?
Now you need a tug boat. Or two? :)

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
There is a dozen or so photos of carfloats and transfer bridges in Triumph V (Messer & Roberts). Maybe another dozen or so of facilities that support transfer operations such as freight buildings and livestock yards. Its probably not worth it for you to get the book though unless you are a PRR fan.

Try an image search for transfer bridges to get some ideas.

Never knew that some carfloats had switches.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK. I see it, I thought you were going to make up some barges.
I wonder why it is made in two pieces? Two barges would have been better?
Now you need a tug boat. Or two? :)
Perhaps they made it in 2 pieces for shipping purposes. If I were going to full length barges I might have oped for 2 side by side, but I don't have enough room.

Besides that I was considering placing the access track for my carfloat down the center of my pier terminal building like this.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,303 Posts
May20_04_liccarloatartswingle.jpg

A Tug boat makes it better. :):thumbsup:

Notice the pilings.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts