Model Train Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Tugs and other barges

Ed, that is a nice looking scene.

Yes I have several tugs,...and other barges. Here are a few alternative mock-ups I've played with.

'white tug shape' next to carfloat

material barge in that dock slip

tug and barge in that slip

island, small cargo freighter in that slip

Across the aisle from the peninsula point, there is another water front scene that fits in that recess. It has several tug boats,..

waterfront scene I got from an estate sale

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Wow! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.:thumbsup: I saw many railroad tugs and barges in the 50's in New York Harbor.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Harbor Explosions

Have you ever heard of the Black Tom explosion?
1916......happened there. Statue of Liberty sits right off Black Tom.

A wiki, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Tom_explosion

Edit, a google search of pictures of the damage I don't know how the link will work for you,
https://www.google.com/search?q=black+tom+explosion+pictures&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS723US723&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjf3Z3m4OrmAhUo1VkKHZL_CxEQ_AUoAnoECAwQBA&biw=1600&bih=746
Up till this point I thought the harbor explosion in Halifax NS was the largest,...now not so sure??

Halifax Explosion
On 6 December 1917 SS Imo and SS Mont-Blanc collided in the harbour of Halifax, Nova Scotia. Mont-Blanc carried 2,653 tonnes of various explosives, mostly picric acid. After the collision the ship caught fire, drifted into town, and exploded. 1,950 people were killed and much of Halifax was destroyed. An evaluation of the explosion's force puts it at 2.9 kilotons of TNT (12 TJ).[22] Halifax historian Jay White in 1994 concluded "Halifax Harbour remains unchallenged in overall magnitude as long as five criteria are considered together: number of casualties, force of blast, radius of devastation, quantity of explosive material, and total value of property destroyed."

...just found this...
Black Tom explosion
On 30 July 1916, sabotage by German agents caused 1,000 short tons (910 t) of explosives bound for Europe, along with another 50 short tons (45 t) on Johnson Barge No. 17, to explode in Jersey City, New Jersey, a major dock serving New York. There were few deaths, but about 100 injuries. Damage included buildings on Ellis Island, parts of the Statue of Liberty, and much of Jersey City.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,303 Posts
That was a big one in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
A lot died !

I was pointing out the terminal for the car floats and figured I would add the Black Tom incident out to those who didn't know about it.

Tell me........do you keep changing the footprint under the float?
Seems to change a lot.
Your tug boats looks too large, is it that big?

Did you paint the float blue or did it come that color?

I like the waterfront scene and the sand?/ore? barge you got.
I still think the tugs footprint looks a tad too large along side of it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey Ya'll,

me I did some trackplanning about of such RR Barges in combination with a timesaver and inglenook onto two modular segments for small space shunting.

The blue inked tracks are marking the carfloat barge.

Handrawn onto a piece of paper my Idea of a track plan. The numbers showing the max possible cars per each of track.

Planned in H0 Scale with Code 120 Brass Tracks from Fleischmann all Turnouts are having 15° Frog Angle of diverging route.

Layout Dimensions 59 1/4" x 59 1/4"

14 possible 36' feet cars and up to two Box Cab Diesel and Tank Shunting Locos.

Ya Ingo

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Blue Barge:
It came that way,...rather strange. I''ll likely have to strip it,...or just paint it some rusty colors, since these steel decks were seldom smooth steel,...lots of rusty steel, and some debris.

Tug Size:
That's the 'footprint size' of the Walthers one 13" long, 3.5" wide.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Black Tom incident

Actually thank you for posting it. The reason I knew about Halifax explosion is that I have a friend who has a summer house in Lunenburg NS that I have visited several times. Nearest major city is Halifax.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Hey Ya'll,

me I did some trackplanning about of such RR Barges in combination with a timesaver and inglenook onto two modular segments for small space shunting.

The blue inked tracks are marking the carfloat barge.

Handrawn onto a piece of paper my Idea of a track plan. The numbers showing the max possible cars per each of track.

Planned in H0 Scale with Code 120 Brass Tracks from Fleischmann all Turnouts are having 15° Frog Angle of diverging route.

Layout Dimensions 59 1/4" x 59 1/4"

14 possible 36' feet cars and up to two Box Cab Diesel and Tank Shunting Locos.

Ya Ingo
It seems to me that you would have to have the locos push cars on to the barge because of the locomotive weight. Without a way to turn the loco it will get stuck behind the cars in the dead end red and green tracks at the top of the layout. You have the potential for a passing siding at the top in green but I think you have to make it longer.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Car float

Since I am currently working on a carfloat scene for my new layout. I thought I would do a search on this forum for such subjects.

i was surprised there was very discussion(s) of this subject,...or did I do my search incorrectly
railandsail;

Here's some photos of my N-scale car float. I made it from a scrap piece of 1x4 lumber. The tug is a commercial model with added details.

Have fun!

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

tug & float all lights.JPG

tug closeup sharp focus.JPG

tug & float top view.JPG

tug & float side view overall.JPG

tug & float inside lights.JPG

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,303 Posts
Blue Barge:
It came that way,...rather strange. I''ll likely have to strip it,...or just paint it some rusty colors, since these steel decks were seldom smooth steel,...lots of rusty steel, and some debris.

Tug Size:
That's the 'footprint size' of the Walthers one 13" long, 3.5" wide.
I thought maybe they had some blue ones where ever your at.
I never saw a blue one.
Not to say there are no blue ones out there.
I like the color of your sand? ore? barge.

I still say that the foot print of your tug looks too big.
See traction's picture? The tug only takes up around half of the float.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,303 Posts
railandsail;

Here's some photos of my N-scale car float. I made it from a scrap piece of 1x4 lumber. The tug is a commercial model with added details.

Have fun!

View attachment 521110

View attachment 521114

View attachment 521116

View attachment 521118

View attachment 521120
Sweet, nice work, I like . :smilie_daumenpos:

Whats the button control?
Edit, never mind I missed the picture saying LIGHTS:eek:

Edit again,
It would be nice to add a smoke unit somehow to the tug?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I still say that the foot print of your tug looks too big.
See traction's picture? The tug only takes up around half of the float.
I agree, a bit too big. But if you take a look at that photo I posted previously with the 'white tug footprint next to the full length carfloat, its only just over half its length.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,303 Posts
Yeah it looks OK now along side the whole thing.
Maybe it was this one I was thinking about?

DSCF5099.jpg

What is this going to be? A cruise ship? :D

DSCF5102.jpg

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Smoke unit?

Sweet, nice work, I like . :smilie_daumenpos:

Whats the button control?
Edit, never mind I missed the picture saying LIGHTS:eek:

Edit again,
It would be nice to add a smoke unit somehow to the tug?
Big Ed;

I don't have any experience with smoke units, (not many of them in N-scale as far as I know.)
The tug, including it's funnel (sailor talk for smoke stack) is plastic. I think a hot smoke unit would melt the plastic. So, I think I'll stick with the painted cotton "smoke."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Car floats were used during the American Civil War. Most were made by lashing river or canal barges/boats together.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Big Ed;

I don't have any experience with smoke units, (not many of them in N-scale as far as I know.)
The tug, including it's funnel (sailor talk for smoke stack) is plastic. I think a hot smoke unit would melt the plastic. So, I think I'll stick with the painted cotton "smoke."

We called them stacks in the navy, unless they had antennae attached, then they were macks, (mast and stack).

·
Registered
762 Posts
You might look into the "Seattle & North Coast" They (and the Milwaukee Road before them) barged railcars from Seattle to and from the paper mills in Port Townsend, WA. :)

This link has an pic of the Port Townsend dock on a glorious day on the Salish Sea: http://railfan.com/railroads-and-the-sea/

21 - 38 of 38 Posts