Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a tube of MG Chemical 846-80G carbon conductive grease. I want to use it on the bottom roller axles to help conduct the power from the rails to the loco.
Any thoughts? I will let you know if it helps.
I have changed the rollers on some of the engines that I have been working on and still see sparking under the engine and thought this may help.

John

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just ordered a tube of MG Chemical 846-80G carbon conductive grease. I want to use it on the bottom roller axles to help conduct the power from the rails to the loco.
Any thoughts? I will let you know if it helps.
I have changed the rollers on some of the engines that I have been working on and still see sparking under the engine and thought this may help.

John
Got the carbon conductive grease.
I am restoring another 254E with 610,610 and 612 cars. Going to use this grease as lube for all roller pickups and axles on the cars. IMG_3060 (2).jpg

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Please post your results. Whether it helps conduction between the pickup rollers and their spindles to reduce sparking.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay just ran the 254 and saw no sparks on the under side of the loco.
I did polish and clean the rollers and used the carbon conductive grease.
I will try to take a short video soon. Looks like it might help.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
IIRC, you had sparking between the rollers and their axles, not necessarily between the rollers and the center rail. So I presume you "massaged" the conductive grease between the rollers and their axles to improve that connection. I would ask that you monitor it over (running) time; to see if the benefit lasts.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a video is worth ... us waiting for :giggle: .

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IIRC, you had sparking between the rollers and their axles, not necessarily between the rollers and the center rail. So I presume you "massaged" the conductive grease between the rollers and their axles to improve that connection. I would ask that you monitor it over (running) time; to see if the benefit lasts.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a video is worth ... us waiting for :giggle: .
Yes ,that's what i did. I had sparking between the rollers and the center rail.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay I used the conductive grease and found it was messy and did help a little with sparking. No great difference. The best thing I found out was making sure the center rollers are polished.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Okay I used the conductive grease and found it was messy and did help a little with sparking. No great difference. The best thing I found out was making sure the center rollers are polished.
Here the prewar engines sit on the shelf the longest and when run they will spark and them the sparking calms down or goes away before the run is finished .Seems like the postwar engines which get run more often rarely spark .
Keeping the rollers cleaned really helps i use a dremel for rollers and cloth to keep the lionel tinplate track as clean as possible.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here the prewar engines sit on the shelf the longest and when run they will spark and them the sparking calms down or goes away before the run is finished .Seems like the postwar engines which get run more often rarely spark .
Keeping the rollers cleaned really helps i use a dremel for rollers and cloth to keep the lionel tinplate track as clean as possible.
Yes I have been polishing the rollers and it helps.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,636 Posts
The spark is also due to what is not seen. The roller pin contact, Also the spring tension may be low. The roller pin can be replaced or cleaned by just using it and flush with oil. The spring tension is trickier. Adding springs or twisting the copper connection may work. Maybe a little more weight on the roller would help. I have spark with an old 248 I am working on and because of the sparks, the roller needs to be cleaned.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
A some cars com with conductive grease in their multi-conductor connectors. The grease retards corrosion and the metal "dust" in the grease increases connector conductance. I know a 2005 Malibu that would not pass inspection because of a bad contact is a 24 conductor connector. Replaced the conductive grease and problem solved.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts