Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
This is a vintage Kato GP-38-2
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any ideas for keeping a cat off your layout? I've been using a spray that's supposed to repel cats once or twice a day (I cover the exposed track with paper towel) with less than absolute success. It's not total destruction, just a few things knocked over, but it (pun alert!) dampens the fun having to fix stuff (and remove the towels) before you run your trains.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I am fortunate that mine doesn’t get up on my workbench, layout, or even kitchen counters.
How about one of those wooden whistles given a good blast to associate bad things happen if shes up there? Or a small vacuum or something?

·
Registered
12,179 Posts
Take it from someone who has regular catzilla and kitty kong rampages on his layouts. There is no silver bullet solution for this. At best, exclude your cats from the layout room. If you can't, you will have to patiently train them to associate getting up on the layout with unpleasant events. A loud noise, being hit with a jet of wet water, the snap of a mousetrap, etc. But make sure that they can't obviously tell it's you causing the noise etc., or they will only learn not to do it in your presence. And it needs to be consistent and immediate. That's why mousetraps and double-sided tape work -- because you don't need to guard your layout 24/7.

Wood Building Urban design Engineering Machine

·
Registered
This is a vintage Kato GP-38-2
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Problem solved….
It's my son's cat. He's here till he gets back on his feet. I tried slightly rumpled tinfoil sheets, which may be working. The cat scat mat looks effective, but a little dangerous if the cat jumps on it. I'll probably lay something thin over it if I try it (if the tinfoil fails.) It's more of an issue at night than during the day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you try the mousetrap route, and I'm not really recomending it, put the traps under a few layers of spread out news paper. Adds to the noice and less chance of kitty catching a paw. But I would strongly suggest exhausting less violent methods first.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts