Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know what everybody's thoughts are on replacing link couplers for knuckles. Dose it depend upon the car's value whether or not you change or do you change because you like KC's better? I have converted a few low end value cars but also have left the more valuable cars alone. I also have bought already converted cars as well. Does the conversion change the value of a car? I don't plan on ever selling anything, so I still go by the adage, "My railroad, my rules" So what is the community's opinion?

Kenny

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
It only changes the value if the cars are rare variations or Condition 8 or 9. I do not change them for two reasons, first the links couple closer together so the train looks better. Second, when properly adjusted the links work more reliably in coupling and uncoupling operations. I run 15 car freights on my layout and never have anything uncouple when running, link or knuckle couplers. Of course the layout has perfect track work built by professionals. I have a test track on the carpet on my office floor. I now have a 322AC pulling 10 Gilbert freight cars. In a week nothing has uncoupled. It is also funny how those floor layouts grow when no one is watching, it is now 5'x13'.
Your mileage may vary!

·
Registered
93 Posts
As AmFlyer pointed out, if they are particularly rare or excellent examples of early engines/cars I would leave them alone. Some of my engines I acquired have the links (3 - 300AC's, 310, 2 - 356's, 2 - 365's and 405). The other early engines had been converted and could be changed back which I am thinking about for a later project. The rest are later production. I have enough link passenger (65x's and 66x's) and early freight cars as well so I can run complete link trains. Now if I buy early cars in good condition with links that are broken I replace them with the correct ones. The 342 Switcher I recently restored already had its link converted and I considered putting it back however, since the link bar is at the front and it is a rebuild I will possibly leave it as is for now so it can do double duty in the yard.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I would also never replace any spring assisted link couplers. They were used on some 5xxand 66x passenger cars, some 405's and some 364's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts