Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty - I've got the G scale running in the living room until I can move it outside this spring, so I've been thinking of a smaller layout to temporarily put in the old tv cabinet once I kick the tortoise out of that spot (she'll move to an aquarium stand).

So what I've got is a 29" x 49" spot to fill up. I was thinking a small O scale setup, but I've decided that space is too limiting for O scale. I've got a small HO train already, so I think I'll go that way. I have VERY little time, so I'm thinking something pretty simple, at least for now. I have some EZ track, but with only one radius, I'm thinking that is too boring.

So, I'd like suggestions on making a quick and easy layout. Without using EZ track, what do I need to lay the track on? Do I need a roadbed, or can I tack it straight to a backer board?

Any suggestions for easy layouts more exciting than a simple oval?

Thanks for any suggestions and ideas!

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
With proper space around the edge, you're looking at a minimum radius of about 12 1/2". That can be done but limits you to small locomotives and short cars. That would give you room for a short siding or two. You could tack it directly to your base but a cork road bed would be more advisable.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Shay - I'm half tempted to drop to N scale, but I don't trust my 3 year olds around it. That plus this is still a temporary location, I hope to be able to expand the area within a year or so. I don't really want to spend too much to change scales if I don't have to.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went and measured again, and it looks like I actually have 30 1/4", so 15" radius would just barely fit. The 29" is inside the door supports, but they only come in a few inches from the side, so wouldn't interfear with the track. I could probably run the layout base just over the edge to give support another 1/2" or so out too.

I found this "Code 83 Snap Track" from Tomar Industries on SPTrains, but there's no picture so I can't tell if it is integrated with the roadbed. Has anyone here used this before?

http://www.sptrains.com/150-530.html

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
My Athearn GP-35 has no problems going around 14" radius curves, a more reasonable one for a 30 1/2" board when you take into account car overhang.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts