Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the MTH 30-4137-1 Pennsylvania 2-8-0 Steam set and the engine, even though it's not that detailed, has proven to be a great runner. The only problem is the horn and bell do not sound good to me. I know that sound files can be swapped but I don't know what issues I could cause doing so. I've found a number of premier sound sets for Berkshire's and 2-8-0 H-9 engines in the 3V package that look like they might work.

What kind of issues could I cause?

Thanks

·
Admin
44,194 Posts
Well, you can create several different issues. First off, I'd make sure you have the original sound file, it's on the product page: http://mthtrains.com/30-4137-1

Some of the issues that you can create is the scale speeds can be off for different sound files, some Premier locomotives have different gear ratios and driver sizes, for instance. You can also lose some lighting features, although that's probably not likely with this engine. Obviously, you MUST pick a 3 volt sound file for this unit, and you should also make sure it's a 1mb file, some of the older 3V boards only had 1mb of FLASH.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John,

Yeah this engine doesn't have much in the way of lighting. I found a railking berkshire sound file I was thinking of trying.

http://mthtrains.com/30-1435-1

It's under 1mb for the file and from the date I'm sure it's 3V. If the speed steps are the only thing I could really mess up I might give it a try. I'd hate to brick this engine just for the sounds though. I do know how to back up the files as I've done that before with a different engine.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thanks John.

One final question. You said there were a number of potential issues. Other than lighting and probable scale speed being off is there anything else that I should watch out for? This can't fry the board can it?

I'd have to imagine no as the upgrades from ps1 to 2 didn't seem like an exact science if the sound file didn't exist for the upgraded engine.

·
Admin
44,194 Posts
No, I've never heard of toasting an engine. I did see an instance where the FLASH got scrambled and the board had to go back to MTH to reprogram the bootloader. Don't know how it happened, but it did. That would be a pretty rare occurrence.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome, thanks so much. I'll give it a try and post the results here. Worst case I can go back to original sound file.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've done the upgrade. I backed up the original file which took about 30 minutes and then uploaded the new berkshire sound file from the link in the earlier post. The engine looks to be working fine. The chuffs are closer together but, at a scale 3mph, it looks to be close to the same speed. Once my full layout is back up and running I'll be able to test it more. Already sounding much better to me.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Terrific improvement on the whistle. I have one of those guys, got it for next to nothing. I should do the same thing to it.

Bill

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The whistle just did not sound good to me with the stock sound file. I guess I just like that deep sounding berk/j class whistle. :) Much happier with it now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts