Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, we broke the cable connection on 3 televisions in our house. Yeah, I know it seems excessive, but when all the boys were home everyone had a tv in their room with a cable connection. I started out by trying to use indoor over the air (OTA) antennas in windows, but that didn't work so well.

We are 40 or so miles from the broadcast antennas located on the north side of Pittsburgh. I decided to venture up to the attic and see what I could accomplish by setting up the OTA's up there.

When all was said and done, I managed to pick up about 25 channels with relatively good pictures and no pixelation.

What I did was to combine several antennas together in different parts of the attic through various splitters/combiners and new cable drops to the bedrooms. Then, at each television, I added a signal booster (powered amplifier) inline on the coax cable just ahead of the actual TV connection.

So far, things have worked out pretty well. I don't know what to expect next summer when all the trees are fully leafed-out. But, that is another time. We really don't use these TV's all that much, but it was somewhat fun trying to do the things I used to have to do before cable TV came along. And back in those days, there weren't all the cool components. Heck I used to run 300 ohm two-wire antenna wire for great tv reception.

I bought everything at Amazon, my new Radio Shack. LOL

3B6CA268-CE61-460E-ADE7-717B10EE15D1.jpg

F2F75B68-79FB-4431-9E3D-F37F8465C11F.jpg

3FD10CD4-FB7F-4B5F-BCF5-ED9E0C09D6A2.jpg

3D854908-285B-4254-92E2-34F2ED26A698.jpeg

E70798B9-C44E-47CC-A8ED-8905D9AB07EA.jpg

·
Registered
643 Posts
Nice, Bob. I may try something like that. Since moving back here I’ve just used the digital TV antenna. We also get about 25 channels. Plus, we have Apple TV and Netflix so it’s enough.

The one station we have trouble with is ME TV that has a lot of the old shows. (Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford is one of our favorites lol). A few others near that station on the dial can also be a problem. ( What’s a dial, grandpa?) Haha.

We are just a few miles from three gigantic TV towers but I found out that not all stations broadcast from those. Your ideas may help. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The magic stick antennas are omni directional The big GE antenna is directional, and it took several adjustments to get it just right for reception. The magic stick with the coax connection in the middle is used horizontally and the other single stick is hanging vertically. I bought everything at Amazon.

It seems as though Amazon has become my new Radio Shack, LOL.

·
Registered
890 Posts
We don't have cable TV and use just a regular antennae on the roof. It's fallacy that you must have a special 'digital' antenna to get digital TV.. the signal is still transmitted on good ole analog carriers, it just may not be in the original band it was before everything went digital. Meaning, analog channel 9 may have once been broadcast in VHF, and now it may be in UHF, so you might need a UHF antenna instead of VHF.

If your HOA prevents roof antennas, or you just don't want one, you can put an regular antenna if your attic if you have the room.

40 miles isn't a long reach for a good antenna. With a big antenna, a rotor, and a booster you can reach out to 60-80 miles if you have a clear shot at the transmitter.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tom, here in western Pennsylvania, there is no "clear shot". This area is considered as the foothills of the Alleghenies, meaning it is not flat terrain. I live atop a rather large hill, but surrounding me are hills that are much higher and reception of any frequencies is a challenge.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I feel you. You've built a working system already so this is all moot, probably.

Someone else in your situation may be able to get better performance with a directional antenna in the attic pointed toward the transmitter(s). If there are transmitters in several directions, either a rotor, or another antenna pointed at the others could work.

I guess it's just a matter of level of effort and the cost one wants to spend.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
The nearest station to us is 132 miles. Despite some boosters, I can get only 2, maybe 3 channels OTA. After we disconnected cable, we subscribe to SlingTV. Costs $25 a month for our package. But, as with cable, about 90% of the channels are ones we don't watch. I do wish they'd have MeTV and Grit.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I feel you. You've built a working system already so this is all moot, probably.

Someone else in your situation may be able to get better performance with a directional antenna in the attic pointed toward the transmitter(s). If there are transmitters in several directions, either a rotor, or another antenna pointed at the others could work.

I guess it's just a matter of level of effort and the cost one wants to spend.
Tom, I considered that option. Prior to cable, I had a BIG antenna and a rotor. It worked well, but I was 30 or so years younger, and had precision balance. Now, I am lucky to stand on a level surface, and the roof work, for me, is both tedious and precarious. So, the attic was my answer, and it seemed to work out okay.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I feel that too... walking on roofs is a young mans game.
That’s for sure. I was up on mine the other day to make sure roofers did everything in contract. The job is done and I won’t be back up there anytime soon. That’s really pushing it.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,295 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,295 Posts
That’s for sure. I was up on mine the other day to make sure roofers did everything in contract. The job is done and I won’t be back up there anytime soon. That’s really pushing it.
When they did my roof I paid an extra $300 for an extra 3' of the ice dam matting.
When they started hammering I went up to look.
The foreman was shouting orders around and saw me standing there, he shouted something in Spanish. I guess telling me to get going and do something. lol
He apologized and said that no customers ever come up on the roof as they are afraid to.
Good thing I stayed home as they were going to re-roof without any of the roof dam!
He told me sir you no pay for any, I told him I paid for EXTRA roof damming stuff.
He made a phone call and verified that I did.
I guess he felt bad about it as they practically ice dammed the whole roof.:smilie_daumenpos:

Anytime I get anything done I make sure that I am there.

When I had my new central heat and air put in somehow my Dremal tool disappeared.

It may be down in my mess somewhere but I looked everywhere and can't find it.
Heck, I needed a new one anyway. :)

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,295 Posts
Bob. how much did all that stuff cost you?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ed, I think it was about $125. I bought a couple of new expensive cables I really didn't need, but I did anyway. Once, before a big purge, I probably had everything I needed except for a couple of new antennas.

My wife was bugging me to get rid of stuff, so I sold off all my splitters, a couple of signal boosters and several hundred feet of coax cable with new connectors and cable tools for cutting and crimping for about 10 bucks. This was before digital TV, and before cable cost an arm and a leg each month.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,295 Posts
I googled them, I don't think it would work for her.
Probably does not get the Love channels she likes.:rolleyes:

We have Comcast,but it is getting pricey.
But she pays the bill.
She ought to as I really can't watch anything unless she is not home. :)

I will research this some more.

The piece that looks like an antenna, does that mount on the roof?
Everything you show, you need it all?
The T max antenna.
The Magic stick.
And the thing that looks like an antenna.

Where does the T max tube and the Magic stick tube mount?
To the thing that looks like an antenna, and on the roof?

I looked quick and did not get into how they install.

Edit, I see they go in the attic?
All of them?
I can't get into mine.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,295 Posts
Never mind I found the answers to all but one.
The tube thing that looks like a modern antenna, does that mount on the roof?

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
I sure agree, an off the air antenna is the way to go.
Mine is an RCA designed for digital and mounted outside
the on fascia. I think it ran around 30.00 at Walmart. Easy install.
They claimed sensitivity for around 50 miles, but all of our TV transmitters
are only about 10 or so miles away, thus solid interference free reception.

We have eight main channels in Jacksonville and each has 2 or 3
sub channels. Tho I have DirecTV satellite, I find myself
more and more surfing those sub channels. I love
LAUGH IN, (daily at 7P Eastern on the sub Decades) tho the younger set wouldn't understand the political satire. But it's so sad watching with the knowledge that Ruth Buzzi and
Lilly Tomlin are the only ones still alive.

And there's another free TV program source: The internet.
You can get a 35.00 device from Walmart that uses your Wi-Fi to provide an HDMI feed to your TV. You use your lap top,
I pad or whatever to select the site, then watch and listen on your TV. When the yard guys accidentally cut the coax for my dish recently, I got my Fox News fix from the internet.

It all sure beats those 2 or 3 channels of 50s TV

Don

·
Registered
890 Posts
When I hire anyone I tend to just stay around and watch them, because I'm just naturally interested in the process. I'm sure they don't like it, but too bad. When we had our retirement house metal roofing installed, I was there watching every thing they did... for 2 days. I even got out my drone and flew it around taking videos during the process. I'm sure they hated me by the end of that job. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts