Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Schizophrenic Engineer
3,076 Posts
Why do we not have a chat room? A place where we can complain that others, including the better halves, don't understand us. A place where we can just shoot the bull over a cup of coffee. Have a place for real time converstaion.

I do not know. Is it possible with this type of forum software? I have no complaints. The people that I work with don't think it's strange that I run out the door every time I here a train go by. They are used to it. Everyone that works there is a nut. That's why I fit in. As to the wife she dose not try to understand me. She is just glade I have a hobby instead of chasing her around the house like a love sick teenager.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
It's possible with this software but being a mod on another site that has a chatroom it can get tough to watch.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I'd like to see some more members feedback on this.. I've been involved with forums for quite a while and I typically am against chat rooms for a couple reasons.. one, alot of them are poorly developed and are prone to security holes, which puts the entire forum at risk for hacking. Two, it could detract from the good posting that is being done here, and we could lose some 'charm' of the forum that way.

What does everyone think? I'm also open to trying new things, so let's hear what people have to say.

·
Schizophrenic Engineer
3,076 Posts
The two post above make good points. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I am a member of other forums, but this is by far my favorite. I have never used a chat room so I may not be the right person to ask about this.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,802 Posts
Chat room This is ny unedited post. When I hav to chat at the guy for my computer problem . He thought I had Fied. Hr haf to wait for a long time. My typindn is slow an becsause the keys are worn out on this computer.
I normaly edit a good post a few timed to add and correct information.
I am not a chatty person except for trains. I get enough of chat from peopke at work and do not really want to get into personal problems. A compalint is very different from a problem. In the end if I do like . I will have to cope with another distraction from the trains. Everytme Ipost there are at least thgree projects waiting. Som e are long term too.I am glad you guys are eround because I really do not want to answer all the podtbut I hate to have someone wait. At this time I am not into it.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,802 Posts
Another option from the wife is to have a Google chat room. You need a google account and invite members to join. It would mean to have an extra window up and bounce from the forum to the chat. I have stayed away from outlook and have enjoyed the google mail.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd like to see some more members feedback on this.. I've been involved with forums for quite a while and I typically am against chat rooms for a couple reasons.. one, alot of them are poorly developed and are prone to security holes, which puts the entire forum at risk for hacking. Two, it could detract from the good posting that is being done here, and we could lose some 'charm' of the forum that way.

What does everyone think? I'm also open to trying new things, so let's hear what people have to say.
Rule #1 on chatrooms....no talking of subjects that should be posted. Participants should enforce the rule.

Chatrooms that are within the periphery of the site should pose no security problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why do we not have a chat room? A place where we can complain that others, including the better halves, don't understand us. A place where we can just shoot the bull over a cup of coffee. Have a place for real time conversation.
I belong to many other model rr forums, the best one (to me :cool:) does have a chat. It's a great add-on and several people are on at once, usually after 10pm. It's a good idea, and if there's enough people to at least keep the chat busy you should try it. I don't know if vBulletin has a plug for a chat room though :confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts