Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two Legacy GP35 Great Northern locos. Both are #2519. At some point I would like to change one to #2518. I have no idea what is involved or if it's even possible. Then there changing the painted numbers. I do not have the skill to try something like that. :eek:hwell:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
You have the skill. I use MS Word to print the numbers on Evan's Designs Hobby Cal paper. Set the document for white letters on black background. Hobby Cal is a thick decal paper that prints sharp images with an ink jet printer. After printing and applying to a clear plastic piece that fits in your number board, brush with a solvent varnish and the white numbers will turn clear.

The numbers in the headlight were done this way.

6008_Front.jpg

6008_Front (1).jpg

Pete

·
Admin
43,470 Posts
I do them very similar to Pete. I actually printed them on plain bond paper white on black at the correct size on a laser printer. Then I stick them to the plastic with Tester's Clear Parts Cement and hit them with a couple of coats of sealer. I've done a few replacements that way.

If you already have a number board, many times you can remove the existing number and use the plastic base to mount the new number.

·
Registered
8,643 Posts
I do them very similar to Pete. I actually printed them on plain bond paper white on black at the correct size on a laser printer. Then I stick them to the plastic with Tester's Clear Parts Cement and hit them with a couple of coats of sealer. I've done a few replacements that way.

If you already have a number board, many times you can remove the existing number and use the plastic base to mount the new number.
Exactly - I'm doing that today, in fact.

·
Admin
43,470 Posts
Many items we buy come in vacuum pack plastic. That may be a source of a small clear plastic panel for jobs like this.
If you're replacing the whole number board, you usually need thicker plastic than packaging. The good news is, there are tons of really cheap products that are made of clear plastic, so I just cut up scraps from old products.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, I hear what you guys are saying. When I said I do don't have the skill, I am referring to the nerve damage on my right side and I'm right handed. I'm sure I can get it done eventually, but I'm going to have to study on it.

Next thing is the painted numbers. I only need to change one number.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Its pretty hard to match the font so you really want to remove the old number completely and start over. Its easy to remove numbers off die cast engines but am pretty sure the plastic diesels use different paint. I use lacquer thinner on die cast but would not try that on plastic. Hopefully someone else can help here.

Pete

1 - 9 of 9 Posts