Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I had a Miss America line control P-51 powered by one of those. Man, that was a long time ago but I can still smell the fuel.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Yep. Just quite a bit smaller. Made by Cox.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was Army brat in the 50s 60s

Basically big Catholic family(6 kids me eldest) poor with low Rank Army Officer dad

My dad had hobbies:
hot rod (hop up) cars
build and fly model planes
real tether cars
model rockets
Lionel train for dad and I around tree was gift to me but Dad played with it a lot
I was the family kid that played with all same stuff my dad liked.....things that make smoke noise or both....

seems to reason many here playing with toy trains might well have been in the schoolyard day after Christmas freezing fingers trying to fuel and start a control line plane or tether car......

At 9 years old on a cold morning, the Cox .049 backfired and bit my cold fingers....mom was not there.....no bar of soap....but I did learn proper use of the F word those cold mornings

Cool photos Bob....great memories....where is my stash of Cox small engines?
got to get grandson to play glow fuel engines with me tomorrow....grin

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think one of the last two Fred. Dunno, I just reached in and grabbed a couple.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For some reason....only been on this train site a few days...I suspect many members can relate to our activities by smell, as well as some adult activities

My late 50s Lionel oval, with smoke, train set had 2 distinct smells....the smoke juice and electric train ozone....

Glow fuel COX or Testors or Tyco planes n cars sent you home reeking of spent Castor oil

There were some blends of Glow fuel that smelled like Kiwi Black Boot Polish....I bet very few here can explain why......hint it is a very hard to find additive thank you California...

I recall, decades before Tim the Toolman Taylor, hopping up just about everything in sight including train engines.....

Did I dream it or way back a decade or three you could by Lionel smoke juice in wood or coal flavors?

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Fred, I remember one of those cold mornings with a radio control monster truck.
My youngest son and me took it to a school yard on a freezing cold day. Everything
went fine till my son drove it head on to a basketball net pole. During the summer it
would have bounced off the pole. But freezing it shattered the front end, mainly the brush guard. I will never forget how we immediately looked at each other. Kinda surprised us it broke. I finally months later got it pieced together. Had to custom fit a few pieces.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts