Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did I miss a thread here or am I the first to notice Art William’s layout in the June issue of Classic Toy Trains magazine? I don’t recall hearing any scuttlebutt about an upcoming article, but when I turned to page 30 and saw the photo of downtown Spencer, I new I had seen it before. I have seen many photos of various portions of the layout, but I think this is the first time I've seen a schematic of the entire layout.

Excellent article on an excellent layout Art.

·
Admin
44,010 Posts

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s a 7-page article written by Art. There are several photos. Some scenes we have seen here and some I don’t remember seeing. I looked on a few other forums and also didn’t see any threads on it there. I didn’t expect to see one at OGR (a competing mag) but thought I would see one at the birthday brigade site.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Perhaps CTT wanted an exclusive presentation of Art's layout, and wanted to avoid publishing photos and info that was already available here or elsewhere on the web.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Did I miss a thread here or am I the first to notice Art William’s layout in the June issue of Classic Toy Trains magazine? I don’t recall hearing any scuttlebutt about an upcoming article, but when I turned to page 30 and saw the photo of downtown Spencer, I new I had seen it before. I have seen many photos of various portions of the layout, but I think this is the first time I've seen a schematic of the entire layout.

Excellent article on an excellent layout Art.
Thanks! It was a lot of fun to work with them on it. I started on the article about a year ago and it's finally published. Art

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have laid low for the last year as I wasn't sure at first which photos they were going to use. I didn't want to show them on the forum before they published in the magazine. It didn't seem right for me to announce it on the forums, as I didn't want to seem like I was boasted or promoting. It all started last year with TM Videos doing the story on the layout and then CTT. Kalmbach has been promoting it on Facebook and recently had my new video on their website and Facebook. All my non-train friends have been interested in it, but few of the train friends yet. I want to add some new photos that didn't make it in the magazine soon and be a more frequent poster again.

Art

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And I'm looking forward to Chugman posts and more photos of his fantastic layout.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,876 Posts
Congratulations, you are now famous.
I thought some of the pictures looked familiar.
Nice article and pictures, nice layout all around. (y)
They ought to give you free magazines for life ! :)

One thing that caught my eye right away is the first picture of Spencer.
A great shot.
But it was the crossing lights I saw first, 2 tracks? :unsure::)

I enjoyed the article and pictures, I wish I had the room for a layout of that size.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Congratulations, you are now famous.
I thought some of the pictures looked familiar.
Nice article and pictures, nice layout all around. (y)
They ought to give you free magazines for life ! :)

One thing that caught my eye right away is the first picture of Spencer.
A great shot.
But it was the crossing lights I saw first, 2 tracks? :unsure::)

I enjoyed the article and pictures, I wish I had the room for a layout of that size.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Thanks, Ed. You have a good eye for details regarding the two tracks on the crossing signals. There are two tracks, but the camera was over one of them. The track you can see is the single-track mainline and the track you can't is a siding that runs past the Spencer depot and serves the Spencer Packing Co. plant.

Art

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Congratulations Art. I'm glad you also got to work with Tom McComas. He is a friend of mine, but I haven't been down to his store in quite a while. I think last time was Lionel day.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Here is a picture of the afternoon Santa Fe Southwest Chief crossing the Mississippi Bridge beside Casey Jones' home while he is waiting for his grand kids to get home from school. The school bus with them in it is on the highway bridge behind the engine. His dog Rex is also anxious to see the kids.
Santa Fe El Capitan at Casey's House.jpg

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’ve seen that photo before. Maybe here, maybe at OGR, maybe in one of the mags. But I don’t mind seeing it again. It’s a great scene with a nice story behind it.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
A very nice layout and a well written article about a layout many of us would like to have.
I did have a problem. I looked through the several issues :confused:when I finally realized the article is in the July issue.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry about that. I would fix the OP, but the site is not letting me. Thanks Emile!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Here is another shot that wasn't published. Two BNSF Dash-8's emerge from a tunnel onto the curved stone arch bridge with a Intermodal double-stack Z train bound for Chicago.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts