Model Train Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Admin
43,203 Posts
Fast blow fuses will beat most circuit breakers with the exception of truly 100% electronic circuit protection.

For your circumstance, the 5A one should work, and you might even get away with the 4A looking closely at the trip curves. It really depends on what actual power you pull. You can pull up to around 2X the rating for 30 seconds with the Type B breaker. However, if that persists for a long period or is continuous, the breaker will trip at some point in the near future, the long term overload curve tapers down to around 120% of the rating of the breaker.

However, IMO, there's no reason to skate that close to the edge. If you have something that protects against shorts, I personally wouldn't want it to be on the hairy edge and trip if an extra passenger car rolls into the power district. :)

__CB.png

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I think I’ll try the 4 amp breakers and see how that goes. If the 10 amp fuses still beat those breakers, I’ll switch the fuses to 15 amp and/or try 3 amp breakers. I want to make sure I don’t blow the fuses in my TIU.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I got a couple of 3 amp FAZ breakers and a few 4 amp. So far (2 out of 2 derailments on the streets loop), the 3 amp breaker beats the 10 amp mini fuse.
Good to know Bob. I ordered some as well but have not gotten around to installing them them out yet.
How did you mount/orientate them?

Ken

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I bought 2 meters of the 35mm DIN rail from Automation Direct when I got my breakers even though I only needed a few inches. I mounted them inside a 5 X 7 X 3 box that I had bought back when I got my last set of breakers but never used.

IMG_4703.JPG

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I got a couple of 3 amp FAZ breakers and a few 4 amp. So far (2 out of 2 derailments on the streets loop), the 3 amp breaker beats the 10 amp mini fuse.
The 4 amp Eaton FAZ type B breaker also beats the fuses. And it didn’t trip when running three trains: MTH Premier Pioneer Zephyr (with incandescent lighting), Williams GG1 (converted to DCS PS3) pulling 7 passenger cars (4 LED lighted), MTH PRR G-5s pulling 8 loaded military flat cars and one lighted caboose.

·
Registered
349 Posts
MARX TRANSFORMERS

In response to BENZ TRAINS posting of a You Tube video showing a Marx #1209 transformer with a separate circuit breaker added. I thought that the 50 watt Marx 1209 looked very very familiar. To make a long story short. Recently I purchased a large storage tub containing a good bit of tubular 054 curves & straight track & HO items plus transformers at a local Antique Mall for cheap. One of the transformers was a 50 watt Marx #1239. The #1239 is just a #1209 with a built in circuit breaker. They look the same at first glance but the #1239 has a red reset button just above the output terminals. The transformer works like a champ but I have not had the occasion to see if the circuit breaker even works let alone it's response time to a direct short.

I DO HOPE THAT THIS TIDBIT IS HELP FULL.

INTERNET AQUIRED PHOTOS SHOWN

Attachments

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The 4 amp Eaton FAZ type B breaker also beats the fuses. And it didn’t trip when running three trains: MTH Premier Pioneer Zephyr (with incandescent lighting), Williams GG1 (converted to DCS PS3) pulling 7 passenger cars (4 LED lighted), MTH PRR G-5s pulling 8 loaded military flat cars and one lighted caboose.

Wouldn't you expect that - A 3 amp breaker tripping before 10 amp fuse blows? And what type of fuse, slow blow, fast blow ...

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Yes. That was my expectation, but I wasn’t positive till I tested it. As I noted above (two years ago), the 10 amp automotive mini fuse beat a 10 amp magnetic hydraulic breaker, but a 15 amp mini fuse also beat the 10 amp breaker sometimes.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Well, I think I found the limit of the 4-amp Eaton FAZ breaker. I recently got another 5-car set of PRR (incandescent lighted) Madison passenger cars. I added them to my 7 cars (2 baggage with no lights and 5 with LED lighting) being pulled by a Williams GG1. After about 80 feet, the breaker opened. I put 3 of the new coaches on an unpowered siding, tried again and the train ran fine. Added one of the coaches back into the consist and the breaker opened in about 80 feet. There was also a lighted caboose on a siding. These MTH Madison passenger cars are heavy so I suspect the load of 10 to 12 cars on the GG1 and the incandescent lights made the breaker very unhappy.

Also, I may have broken the breaker. When I power up now, the lighted cars don’t come on for a few seconds, then I hear a snap at the breaker and the lights come on. Doesn’t SEEM to affect the watchdog (the locos on that circuit don’t startup in conventional).

Looks like I’ll be getting a few 5-amp breakers. I think I will also be getting some LED lighting regulators.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts