Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you read the article in the new CT trains mag. They are playing up the 1993 11739 SF passenger train. I bought one of these for my kids in 1993. Total POS, lionels worst embarrassment. Single pickup on cars so lights flicker and engine wobbles side to side. I am glad though they did play it up, maybe it will boost ebay prices and I will sell it.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Very seldom will you ever see a negative review of product in OGR or CTT of their larger advertisers.

Bill

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Very seldom will you ever see a negative review of product in OGR or CTT of their larger advertisers.

Bill
On many levels, accurate, objective reporting has flown the coop ... along with writers' integrity. Some of the the most prestigious publications (read The Gray Old Lady) has succumbed to bias.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had that set. It was a starter set, basically. Like most Lionel starter sets of that time period, it was a great runner. Not much play value, but it never disappointed.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Besides CTT, there's OGR (O Gauge Railroading), which is known for better all-round articles on fixing, etc., but like CTT, it also has swung more to the middle and is a vehicle for sales, but still a good mag, or online forum potential. You should join and check it out, but it's not better than MTF (this site). BTW, there's one or two O gauge 2-rail specific mags, but because of the limited readership/buyers of 2-rail product, harder to find, but worth it if you are a hard-line scale guy.

·
Registered
91 Posts
After subscribing for many years, I finally gave up on CTT in January. It just got to the point where I was reading very few articles. For a while almost every article was written by Roger Carp, though I noticed more stories from readers in the last year.

I think Kalmbach has alienated many knowledgeable collectors. I've written a few articles that they published over the years. The problem is you tell them an idea. They agree to buy the story. You write and submit it. They pay for it, and then it can be a black hole. They never did publish one of my articles they bought. Problem is once you've signed the contract and been paid, Kalmbach owns the copyright, and so you can't do anything if they don't publish. I thought they did a nice job with my articles, but I've heard others complain they made too many editorial changes to theirs.

I don't really know what their publishing goals are for CTT. Many articles are about very high end layouts. Also a lot of scale model railroading articles. I think when Carp retires, they'll be hard pressed to keep going.

I think one big problem is there is not a lot about pre and post-war trains that has not already been written in one form or another, and there just isn't a ton of interest in the MPC/Fundimentions era.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
IMHO neither magazine does the hobby much good. OGR seems to cover a lot of large modern model railroads that often were not built by their owners. CTT has had coverage of smaller layouts with a little more coverage of post war models.

There are not any hobby shops in my area that sell any 3 rail O except starter sets so I buy the mags when I find something of interest and to keep up with products. I know this can be done on the internet but I prefer paper pages in my hands.

I agree that product reviews seldom will note problems but do seem to point out features well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts