Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
A soft artist's brush should work. Take the items outside, dap the bristle tips gently against the worst of it, and blow at the same time with your mouth.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,516 Posts
Any advice/tips for cleaning dust off of locomotives/rolling stock?
Just wondering, what scale are we talking about?

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
I use large make-up brushes. They are super soft and get in all the nooks and crannies.

You can get them at larger pharmacies or Walmart...

Tom
Or your wife's makeup drawer. Just don't get caught. :D

·
Registered
721 Posts
An impertinent comment, but...

Look at the guys who spend hours "weathering" their trains to make them look like they're collecting the dust and dirt of the real world...

and then...

... who worry about cleaning the dust and dirt of the real world OFF OF their model trains!

I have 45-year old cars on the model train table downstairs, with the natural "dust of aging" on them. Looks ok to me.

·
Registered
397 Posts
A soft mascara brush works real well, and depending on the equipment, sometimes follow up with air (compressor). I’m lucky that my train room is isolated (in its own room), but most of my locos are kept in a drawer for dust protection...cheers

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
In all the years of my HO room size layout, not one time did I
lift a finger to dust. Why? It made my buildings, trains
and other scenic effects even more realistic. Of course,
I regularly ran my track cleaning car but it only
removed dirt from the rail heads...what was between
the rails was of no interest.

Now, having said that, I would add that my layout was
in a 24/7 climate controlled room. Very little ambient
dust. A layout in an area
with open windows or other outside air exposure may
need a lot of attention.

Don

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
I'm with those who don't dust, as a rule. If I'm going to paint something, install a detail part or light, change a decal or whatever, I will clean it up then (soft brush and a hand held vacuum with a brush attachment) but that's it.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I've tried the huge makup brush to clean my trains. I find a snow shovel to be about as easy to use. Ya can't really get that brush into areas like the walkways behind the hand rails or the cab area of a steamer.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I've tried the huge makup brush to clean my trains. I find a snow shovel to be about as easy to use. Ya can't really get that brush into areas like the walkways behind the hand rails or the cab area of a steamer.
There’s different sizes. You can use smaller ones to get into those areas. New, soft paintbrushes work also but they need to be of good quality so they don’t shed bristles.

I don’t like dust on my models or layout but will admit dusting can turn into a full time job.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
It might be embarrassing for you, but try visiting the makeup section. You can find a size that will suit. Because they're all designed to be used on skin, they're all very soft.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Different tools for different jobs. Brushes come in all sizes. Some, the smaller ones, are intended for fine details, just like on our trains. They require a steady hand, patience, determination, some experimentation, and risk. If it takes several minutes to weather an item of rolling stock with paints washes or weathering powders, it should probably take close to that long to clear them of unwanted dust.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
It might be embarrassing for you, but try visiting the makeup section. You can find a size that will suit. Because they're all designed to be used on skin, they're all very soft.
I received a small makeup brush in the mail from Mr Muffins Trains. They sent it out as a gift...nice surprise...

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
An impertinent comment, but...

Look at the guys who spend hours "weathering" their trains to make them look like they're collecting the dust and dirt of the real world...

and then...

... who worry about cleaning the dust and dirt of the real world OFF OF their model trains!

I have 45-year old cars on the model train table downstairs, with the natural "dust of aging" on them. Looks ok to me.
The dust in your house is not scale. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts