Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a video on YouTube recently, purportedly from Lionel, that showed using GooGone to clean the pick up rollers. I'm always skeptical of videos on YouTube, so I thought I'd check here. Is using GooGone on a qtip followed by wiping with a soft colth a good way to get the rollers clean?

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I tried GooGone once on track and wasn’t crazy about it. I could be wrong, but it seemed to me it left a residue. The MSDS says it is mostly petroleum distillates so it will probably work. But since I read this article, I have been using mineral spirits to clean track, wheels and pickups. I’m very happy with mineral spirits.

Model Railroad Hobbyist magazine

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
That's the way I do it too.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
FYI: Lighter fluid (naptha) is excellent for cleaning track and wheels. If would be at the top of the list in Lehigh74's article. I have a bottle of Ronson lighter fluid with the convenient tilt-up spout.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Mike,
I agree does work.. But no smoking while doing this!
Same goes for several other items on the list (e.x., gasoline). The most dangerous are some of the aerosol sprays that atomize the liquid.

I recall a scene from James Bond in "Live and Let Die" where he used an aerosol spray like a flame thrower. He killed the poisonous snake left in his hotel suite to "eliminate" him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts