Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Thursday night, some rioters caused damage to several buildings on the edge of town that included torching a structure next door to our club.
We suffered water and smoke damage, that directly affected the layout, including significant damage to landscape scenery on one side.
Hydrant hose-pressure had broken through second story glass windows, and water rained down through the ceiling... and that water contained a great deal of brown & black soot.
What a mess!

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damage assessment is in progress, and insurance folks are involved.
Preliminary inspection is revealing about 100 square feet of the overlay and substrate, and possibly the underlying benchwork, will need to be ripped out and replaced.
Unfortunately, there's a lot of industrial track and switchwork there, plus a double-track Central Valley bridge that'll need to be surgically salvaged.

·
Registered
221 Posts
it's a good thing that [hopefully] insurance will cover most of it ....
a lot of clubs run without anything but liability insurance ..

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,876 Posts
But they're just peaceful protesters....
Some don't even know what they are protesting.
They don't care they are just there to riot and loot.

Sucks about your club layout, they ought to round them all up and make them pay for everything they damaged.
Including the burned buildings.
But even if they catch them most are just let go.
Sad.

Reactions: MichaelE

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Sorry to hear about your club layout.

On a related note, a 67 year old man broke into the Ludwigshafen Hbf and destroyed a glass cased HO layout that was on display, as well as damaging an ATM, and other items inside the station.

Ludwigschafen Layout Destroyed

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
I think the world's going mad, must be something in the water (or maybe the beer). :rolleyes:
Perhaps it's a not-yet-discovered virus, similar to mad cow disease...affects the reasoning centers of the brain, causing total inability to discern right from wrong, good from bad. Sure seems to be spreading!!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Sorry to hear about your damage and loss. Just crazy. These "demonstrators" or more to the point, rioters and looters aren't there for any cause except cause they can. It's nothing more than a chance to steal. Stop the world and let me off. The question I have is, do those people have jobs and if not, whose paying them?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I am saddened to hear about the senseless damage to your clubs layout. For that matter, all of this BS that is happening around the country is just insane. Time to get serious and clock these spoiled little bast**ds.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Need to try to separate the people who really, truly want change, with the people who will riot and cause damage for the hell of it, because they aren’t the same people......but course, we only get to see the idiots, because that is more sensational.....

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First impressions
(and lasting ones).

The first crazy thought that struck me is the power behind a fire hose... somewhere between 50 & 75 psi goes through glass like it was ribbon candy.
There's $100K damage just to the second story space.

Insurance sent in ServePro to clear all the water out (still ongoing). Looks like about 2,000 gallons to me... half an inch deep in a monstrous area. A floor drain was found to be clogged.
The building was formerly a National Guard armory, and the concrete floor and walls had fortunately been epoxy coated, so there's likely no danger of mold.
All our valuable equipment is stored in step-up vaults, so at least our locomotives and rolling stock were protected.
However a lot of electric & DCC equipment (panels, controllers, etc) were drenched.

The worst (and most heartbreaking) damage is to some beautiful and costly wood structures... e.g., several prized FOS kit-builds, including a Carter Supply Co. that I'd finished and donated a year ago.

Anyway, it looks like a year's worth of work ahead of us, just to get running again.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We're fussing around in wall-mounted battery-powered emergency lighting and hand-held camper lanterns. Overhead lights can't be used.
An electric contractor has people on ladders everywhere.
ServePro people are scooping and sweeping up debris. Everyone is wearing masks, and I can't make out what they're saying.
It's like a bomb went off in there.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
If there's such a thing as 'gallows humor'...
One of the electricians blurted out, "Wow, a train wreck!"

Eeesh.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
I don't mean to make light of your misery, but just imagine the destruction had the fire itself gotten into your building. There's a huge difference between "water and smoke damage" and "starting over". But I do understand what you're facing. Firefighters never intentionally cause collateral damage, but often it is just part of the effort to keep things from being even worse. And, chances are that they were short-handed due to other fires and emergency calls, so they were likely operating in a surround-and-drown mode. I'm so sorry you all are going through this.

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
The DCC and other electrical equipment will likely be ok after being thoroughly dried out before
applying any power. As an possiible point of validty for the suggestion...many moons ago
a friend of mine, Gen. Mgr. of local TV station told me of his visit to an RCA plaht where one of his color television
cameras had been sent for maintenance...they took him to see the work in progress...only
to be shocked as he watched his $ 50,000 camera dunked in a vat of soapy water....that's
the way they cleaned it. A towell here, a Qtip there and it was ready for the evening news.

Don

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The DCC and other electrical equipment will likely be ok after being thoroughly dried out before applying any power.
Don
Hope you're right...
Lotsa' holstered PowerCabs "n such.
Newly wired signal bridges, (some were damaged by falling debris) took quite a bit of time and effort.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts