Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
One of the cruelest ironies, is that we'd just installed banks of overhead museum (aquarium) remote LED lighting, to simulate sunset & near dark, and lightning effects for simulating rainy weather.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
That really sucks. I hope you get a fair settlement from the insurance company.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hope you're right...
Lotsa' holstered PowerCabs "n such.
Newly wired signal bridges, (some were damaged by falling debris) took quite a bit of time and effort.
Dryed rice works great for drying out electronics. Just set them face down in the rice for about 24 hrs. Shake the water out the best you can before putting them in the rice. check on them occasionally to see if the rice is not getting overly wet .Disclaimer: Results may very. Not responsible for rice sticking to Power cabs. LOL

·
Registered
418 Posts
It makes me sick hearing about the rioting going on. I live in a small town so we only had a protest and the people that would tear stuff up would be more than likely be dealt with and the law wouldn’t be involved till after the dealing was done. I fear for my 12 year old son and the things he will see in his life let alone what I’ve seen. I’m a young guy 28 years old and it makes me sick thinking about what my generation has been doing. Milenials are absolutely ridiculous. Most of the rioters are my age and it’s terrible what this world has come to

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The adjacent building they torched was gutted.
Fortunately though, it was unoccupied and more or less abandoned. It was formerly a sheriff's office, but there was still a star symbol over the door. I'm sure that's what attracted them. They may even have figured it was occupied when they threw the Molotovs in.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
You can bet on that.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just learned that two RivetCounter GEVo's and a Genesis Geep were inadvertently left out on the tracks at the other end of the layout, and survived unscathed.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Man, that really sucks. Hope you can save electronics, but then again might be better to just turn them all in on insurance. Who knows what damage might be showing up down he road.

Course this is a sign that the lock down is over! Everybody can go back to work and not have time to work on the club layout. 😡 If it had to happen to bad it wasn't 6 month ago.

These idiots need to be caught and seriously prosecuted. Specially the jerks paying their way.

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
Way back when, in a state far away, there was a flood. Many downtown stores
were inundated. One, a discount dry goods store, had a radio on a lower
shelf...it was covered by the water...days later the manager pulled me aside
so I could actually hear that radio playing our radio station. The key is
dry it out, then dust it out before you 'plug it in'.

Don

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The 2nd floor is almost dried out.
Bags and sacks of desiccant all over the place up there, with huge jet-driers running. A glazier is up there replacing windows.

They're down on our floor with ladders and vacuum wands in the suspended ceiling framework (all the ceiling tile's been stripped out).
They took our electronic & DCC stuff, and set them in shallow tubs of desiccant. I think they said it'd probably work, but I can't make out what anybody's saying through their masks.
A thing about ServePro... they are definitely thorough.

With lantern-light I took a close look at the affected area...
Foliated sections, (trees and such) and many expensive wood kit-built structures are a total loss, not just from water soaking, but also falling debris. Some of the Walthers structures though might be salvageable. Many signal bridges are snapped or bent flat... even the brass Alkem's.
The Homosote sublayer is soaked. I'm not sure if any of the construction foam is safe to keep (does it retain water?). The Construction Grade plywood is probably no good.
Benchwork still feels wet. Ungalvanized steel washers under nuts and boltheads are already rusting.
I think my 1-year estimate was too conservative.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What town was the layout located? Sorry to hear about the damage and for no good reason at all. So tired of all these childish people who turn protesting into violence. They should all be prosecuted but most will not! This is out and out vandalism and is not acceptable. Hope you get the layout up and running soon.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Last Thursday night, some rioters caused damage to several buildings on the edge of town that included torching a structure next door to our club.
We suffered water and smoke damage, that directly affected the layout, including significant damage to landscape scenery on one side.
Hydrant hose-pressure had broken through second story glass windows, and water rained down through the ceiling... and that water contained a great deal of brown & black soot.
What a mess!

If one may inquire: What city are you in?

·
Registered
3 Posts
what is really sad is if the insurance companies that are insuring everything that the thugs are damaging get tired of paying out start calling it terrorism then nothing will be insured . I was once told by a agent that a lot of polices have acts of terrorism clauses that dont pay. so what you hear that is going on across the country is really sad . who would have thought of this in AMERICA maybe elsewhere but not here

·
Registered
226 Posts
Well, it does fit the definition....

"the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims. " (websters)

Lousy situation and I'm sorry for your losses Latestarter. Guess you could look at the bright side and view it as an opportunity to get new goodies and/or make some beneficial changes- like murder holes and hot oil.:devilish:

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
And guess who’s leading the charge in calling it terrorism.....? Duh......
If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then what you've likely got is a duck.

This has been a good post up to this point. Keep your political views to yourself and stop spoiling things for the rest of us.

Reactions: LateStarter

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Rewiring...
There was a combination of Romex and BX in the overhead.
Looks like it's all gonna' be replaced (some amateurish code violations were discovered). Correcting it all might not be covered by insurance.
All junction boxes are being replaced.
One good thing: our overhead LED 'mood' lighting, even though fallen, cracked, and dented, still works.
The electric & DCC stuff is still sitting in desiccant. It all appears to becoming discolored. They said a rag moistened with Pledge will revive it.

The noisy jet dryers were all moved from upstairs down to our floor, and trashbags full of wet desiccant are lined up along one wall adjacent to the vaults.
The floor is actually cleaner now than I've ever seen it.

Some members have been busy removing most of the debris from the layout, revealing yet more carnage.
It's so very very depressing.

I'm gonna' have a few beers tonight, and cry.
Or maybe get pis*ed off and punch a wall.
Or maybe both.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Our club President can be a di*k sometimes...
He somehow convinced the Rules Committee to ban all operational sessions and new membership for a full year, or until things were back to normal, citing the possibility of November riots.
It passed, by majority email vote.

I don't get it.
We could benefit from new dues money and 'hands on deck' to rebuild.
I give up. Everything's crazy.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Our club President can be a di*k sometimes...
He somehow convinced the Rules Committee to ban all operational sessions and new membership for a full year, or until things were back to normal, citing the possibility of November riots.
It passed, by majority email vote.

I don't get it.
We could benefit from new dues money and 'hands on deck' to rebuild.
I give up. Everything's crazy.
That is absolutely NUTS!

Perhaps he's still "in shock" (which is understandable) and will be amenable to more reasonable thinking after some time.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts