Model Train Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Uh-oh.
There was an injury-related accident...
One of the ServePro guys bumped a ladder with our forklift, and the man on the ladder was knocked off.
Fortunately he landed on the driver's-cage, so it was only a 6-foot fall. But he still suffered a broken arm.

I'm not sure if it's OSHA-reportable.
If it is, there'll be govt people there, looking at everything.
I hope it won't mean insurance company pushback on our settlement.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Some don't even know what they are protesting.
They don't care they are just there to riot and loot.

But haven't you heard that according to some media pundits, what is taken during looting is merely justifiable self reparation for the wrong doings of our country's past .[/QUOTE

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
902 Posts
Need to try to separate the people who really, truly want change, with the people who will riot and cause damage for the hell of it, because they aren’t the same people......but course, we only get to see the idiots, because that is more sensational.....
Agreed, but likewise ALL peaceful protesters need to speak up, denounce, and counter protest the looters and rioters who co-opt their protests.

·
Registered
902 Posts
That really sucks. I hope you get a fair settlement from the insurance company.
I bet that if instead of the insurance companies having to pay for this damage that instead the politicians who meekly stand buy, watching and letting it happen were the ones responsible for paying that such situations WOULD BE STOPPED A LOT SOONER!

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I'm just getting in the way, so ill step back and stay out of there for awhile.
My psyche needs a break anyway... I only leave depressed every time.
I'll get text and email updates, so there's no real reason I need to be there.

Besides, I've neglected my own layout to the extent that I'm way behind schedule on it. I'm still not able to to run a single train on the finished portion of benchwork.
And I'm getting really tired of wearing a covid mask.
Plus, I'm not getting any younger.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Of course there’s a schedule......in fact, life itself has a schedule; do everything you’ve ever wanted to do before you die....

·
Registered
902 Posts
So how is the continuing clean up effort going? A major problem with water damage is the longer it remains moist especially in hot climates, the sooner that nasty mold appears. Also hope you have nothing with particle board since when that stuff is left wet it swells and then game over for it since it won't revert to its original state when it finally dries out and if real wood dries out too fast it'll crack and splinter. Yuck, good luck with your restoration efforts.
Be aware too of a double edged sword is if you guys remove and attempt to clean up stuff from the site before insurance folks see and assess it that they might decline to cover it under your policy.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Volunteer members have been paint-brushing and vacuuming the bits & pieces off the 'safe' areas, and ripping out the wet Homosote & plywood.
The foam landscape has to be surgically removed, to see if it's salvageable.
Some black mold is already forming on the affected benchwork.

ServePro is still milling around with vacuum tools, but the electricians haven't okay'd the lighting yet, so they're still working by battery lights and lanterns.

OSHA wasn't 'interested', so I guess we won't be seeing agents in black helicopters.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I've been told there are two galvanized trashcans full of model & scratch-built trees and wood structures.
Totally depressing.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Won't be next week though. If OSHA did show up, point a finger and declare "unsafe working conditions" then ServePro (or whomever) is allowed time to correct the situation. By the time OSHA comes back for a followup inspection they're gone. Sure OSHA could follow ServePro (or whomever) around wherever they went, but there's much easier pickings. So, "not interested".

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Getting my mind off the depression...
Got out the circ & saber saws, and put about 1/3rd more plywood on my home benchwork, and added some construction foam topography.
I could (if I laid some track) actually run a train for 15 feet or so around one end of the mainline.
But now there's a huge mess to clean up.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Don't look at the mess. Nearly everything we do makes a mess of some sort, and cleanup is just part of the process. Look at the progress you made and be proud of that. Go ahead and lay some track, even if it's temporary. Get those trains running again!

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Getting my mind off the depression...
Got out the circ & saber saws, and put about 1/3rd more plywood on my home benchwork, and added some construction foam topography.
I could (if I laid some track) actually run a train for 15 feet or so around one end of the mainline.
But now there's a huge mess to clean up.
A mess here, a mess there, everywhere a mess......maybe get those Serve-Pro guys to come over after they’re finished at the club......

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Just learned one of my Preiser figures tested positive.
Maybe I should hurry up and build a clinic or hospital to help flatten the curve.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts