Model Train Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Latest text messages indicate that one third of the layout needs replacing.
That's a massive amount of square footage.
All the affected benchwork and topography has been cut away, and piled in the rear parking lot.
Trackwork has all been saved.

The weight of falling ceiling debris caused a tremendous amount of damage.
Only about four dozen structures are on benches for possible salvage... mostly plastic ones, e.g., Walthers, BLMA, Woodland Scenics, etc.
Nine signal bridges might be salvageable... the other several are not.

ServePro is about done. Light's are back on.
The place is likely cleaner and brighter now than it's ever been.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Ripped out benchwork, debris, etc. filled an entire 40-yard roll-off dumpster to nearly overflowing.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
The old abandoned sheriff's office next door is now scheduled for demolition (the Molotovs did their job).

Fortunately, our walls are 18 inches of reinforced concrete with armored doors, and no lower story windows.
They would've needed a MOAB to get in there.
Murphy was not our friend that night. It was a one in a million shot that it happened the way it did.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
The first lumber & hardware delivery is scheduled for Monday.
A member-volunteer rebuilding crew is signing up. They may have to turn down a few, which is a relief for me, because wearing a mask is raising havoc with my asthma. I wear a mask when sawing & sanding at home, but at least I can break for a day and no one notices.

I'm told the new lighting is better and brighter than it's ever been.

I have a feeling the replacement section will outdo the old one... some of the newer members are really good with landscape & scenery.

BTW, on the floor amongst the debris, they found a vintage kit-built Ambroid boxcar that had been left on a track after a photo session. It was completely unharmed (ACL watermelon car).

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Interesting... the operating doors' bottom runners are HO track spikes.
Ambroid001.jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have you heard whether or not the insurance company is going to deny your coverage by invoking immunity from liability due to civil unrest or terrorist’s acts? Denying customer’s claims is standard operating procedure for them, it’s just one of many ways they make their money. So if they do try to do that to you, please be sure that you secure the services of a public adjuster. PA’s cost you nothing up front, they work on a percent of what they force the insurance company to pay out what they owe you.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Two of our members are lawyers.
I heard them mention something like that early on.
I believe they called it "adjuster advocate".
I'm sure that's a route they'll take if they need to.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
So far, the bill is well over $100K...
ServePro isn't cheap.
Either are electric contractors, dumpster rentals, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
The culprit 2nd floor window replacement is glass block, which reportedly will withstand firehose pressure...
Molotovs too, I suspect.
s-l400 (36)~4.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
The riffraff came for another shot at the area.
Security cam footage shows eight of them with crowbars, sledge hammers, etc.
There's virtually no way they can break in, (the doors are breach-proof) so they sprayed the front and side of the building with stupid vile profanity.
Much of it was misspelled.

I'm sure it won't be claimed...
We'll just 'wait it out' for awhile, and employ a volunteer pressure washer and some discount paint.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
The building front & side now look like a Holstein cow...
Had to roller-paint dark gray patchwork over all the 'social justice' profanity.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Funny, the word "matter" was sprayed with one 'T' six out of eight times.
Rattle-cans don't come with spellcheckers.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Funny, the word "matter" was sprayed with one 'T' six out of eight times.
Rattle-cans don't come with spellcheckers.
I doubt that Mater would be involved in something like this. Probably somebody trying to frame him.
Mater_(Cars).png

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
One after-affect from ServePro is the lingering fragrance of Febreze everywhere.
Most of us like it. Some complain it gives them headaches. Others suggest their wife or mom must've cleaned the place.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
We all chipped in for renting a commercial 2-gun paint-spray unit, (tanks, compressor, etc) and got a pallet of discount "battleship" gray exterior paint... durable gloss epoxy for concrete.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Thankyou!
Not sure if it falls within forum rules, but I'll enquire among the club staff about it.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts