Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My next scenery project is a small coal mine. the picture shows the space I have available, I plan on using the two empty spurs for the cars to run on (but can change their direction easily and I think a left switch would be better). Anyway for a flat layout I figure a shaft mine is the best option. So I figure I need a elevator tower, machinery house, conveyer building to load the cars and ventilation house? Did these kinds of mines usually have a pile of rocks from digging the shaft? Have I left anything out? I bought the Model Railroader book on coal railroading but it's mostly about trains and not the mines themselves (but with many lovely pictures of mines in mountainous terrain). I want to build everything in HO out of wood kits, preferably pre-automobile era though scratchbuilding is an option too. Most everything I've seen so far is geared towards mines going into a hillside so would require considerable modification for me to use. Anyway, I'd appreciate advice about plans, kits or resources, or if I've left anything out I'd like to hear.
Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
layout 025.jpg

no idea, mine is just the exit for the mica and waste from a horizontal hole in the hillside ... i focused very little on the actual workings of the mine, not enough room ..
the mine is just serviced by a double spur that has room for maybe three full, and three empty ...
my era is backwoods 1890...

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Whether into a hillside or down a verticle shaft, there will be lots and lots of spoil piles.:)
Around here some of the spoil and culm piles are higher than the hills they dug into.

Here's a link that leads to lots of our local coal history. :cool:
Might help you. ;)

https://www.google.com/search?q=plymouth+pa+coal+mine&client=firefox-b-1-d&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=SxRF01aPWwcCTM%253A%252CWfWGx_S2Y75JOM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kSRzUUh97QlNMhDWH-Q104_NHxmew&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiY--22xa3kAhUJm-AKHTuqDJsQ9QEwBXoECAkQBg#imgdii=D41RKQMk3wiDiM:&imgrc=JaWziskM-qKkgM:&vet=1

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys, lots of interesting things there. I found this:
www.blairline.com/cashmine/
And thought that might be it, if I can rig a trestle and put a tailings pile in the empty spot beyond. It's a pretty substantial building.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts