Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie so please bear with me. I've wanted a model train for years and just received my first one this Christmas - an O Scale FasTrack New York Central Flyer by Lionel. Unfortunately I'm having troubles straight out of the box and need some help. The train runs fine as long as the Coal Tinder car is not attached to the train. Once I connect it to the train the train will only run in reverse. I noticed that one of the copper bands that bridged the connection on the front set of wheels was slightly bent and therefore not touching the back rod so I fixed that but it still does not work. Any ideas? The train runs perfectly - as long as the coal tender car is not attached. :)

·
Yard Master & Research
10,635 Posts
Hello,
Check your sound button if you have one. Wires may be crossed.
Knowing what transformer you have might help.
Does "Run perfectly" cycle through the three settings?
Does the whistle work?
Is your whistle and e unit mechanical or electrical?
Check your switches on both.
For starters.
I don't own your set,but reviewing the manual, and the Lionel site always helps.
Remember when you go on/off, direction changes, forward, neutral, reverse.
It would make a great you tube video.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, T-Man. I'm at work at the moment but will check on the items you listed as soon as I get home. I can't remember off the top of my head what transformer I have. The train cycles through forward, idle, reverse, idle, etc. as long as the tinder car is not attached. With the tinder car attached only reverse and idle (I think) work. It seems like the sounds work at times but at other times does not. These are located in the Tinder Car, correct? Not sure what an e unit is....sorry. Also, I notice an on/off switch on the bottom of the Tinder Car as well as a flat-head screw with a +/- directional stamp. What are these for?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Switch and screw on bottom of Tinder Car

Thanks, Boston&Maine. That might explain why the sound seems to work at times and doesn't at others. :eek: But I'll double check to make sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No wires in the hookup between the engine and the tinder. Just a metal bar that hooks to a post underneath the engine.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,635 Posts
No engine, just the tender on the track .Does the whistle work?
SOme tenders have an extra pickup for the engine. Is the bar electrically connected to the center or outer rail.
I did read that your house current has to be AC at 60 cycles 115v. 50 cycles or less and funny things happen.
I still don't know the kind of whistle you have?

The Manual Link for an 06 set

I am going to suggest to turn off the switches in the engine., but make sure the engine is locked in the forward position.
Places the tender on the track and try the whistle and bell with the engine under power.
Then try again with the tender connected.
Then repeat both with the caboose on the track.
Sometimes you need a power draw.
Please tell me the results.
You have a CW transformer.The A terminal connects to the center rail. U Th outer. You have no external buttons and you have a railsounds tender. I found the manual specific. Other than that you may have to contact Lionel. The other option is viewing their site for answers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts