Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When coil couplers where sold on lionel engines were they BOTH functional. One of mine is not and I dont see any signs of it being wired at one time.

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Are you talking about the Lionel diesel 622 circa 1949/50 ??? If so ...

Doyle's Lionel guide states, "Operating coil couplers were installed front and rear."

TJ

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,040 Posts
When coil couplers where sold on lionel engines were they BOTH functional. One of mine is not and I dont see any signs of it being wired at one time.
They should be both functional.:confused:
No need for the coil if it's not wired. There must be a spot somewhere where it broke.

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Ed,

That's an excellent link with very clear photos and part-by-part breakdowns. Good post!

TJ

(For those searching down the road: coil coupler ... see link above.)

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,040 Posts
Ed,

That's an excellent link with very clear photos and part-by-part breakdowns. Good post!

TJ

(For those searching down the road: coil coupler ... see link above.)

Yes, but it doesn't say anything about the actual coil wire itself.
I figured that maybe his plunger was not working, so I threw him the link.
It could be a broken spring?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
If I understand johnfin correctly, the coil and everything is in place. There is just no wire to operate the coupler. Oftentimes, the pickup shoe that operates the coupler will get broken, and so the owner will remove the shoe and the wire so that the loco is still operative. johnfin, is the pickup shoe still in place? If so, you need to add a wire from the pickup shoe to the coil. You need some pretty fine wire for this, and an easy place to get it is at Radio Shack. Buy some of their clip leads and liberate the wire from a black clip lead. Some, but not all, of the clip leads have some wire that is perfect for this application. Some of the clip leads have wire that is too heavy.

You may have to take the truck apart to get at the pickup shoe.

Bruce Baker

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Never Enough Room,Time or Money for all the Trains!

I think there is too much money and too much space wasted on things like golf, baseball, football, basketball, govt buildings, etc. This space and money could be used to build fantastic model railroads. I propose we create the Model Railroad Bank and Trust and apply for a bailout. (smile)
Bruce Baker

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I nominate Bruce Baker for CEO. All in favor?

Oh, and add three-railed trains to that list he posted.:laugh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts